an introduction and my project

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by bonvo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bonvo

bonvo Member

hello everyone in the chevy world im jon im 21 years old and i live in northern california this is my project
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is how i got the truck it has always been a california car so the 99% of the rust is surface for $500 with clean title and motor and tranny in it i couldnt pass it up:D

after i got it my priority was to stop the rust so i busted ass stripping the rusted parts back to bare metal and getting a good coat of paint on them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im still working on stripping the rust off of it and as im doing so i tell my grandma about my little project she asks me where i have seen the cheapest parts i told her about classic parts she told me make a list of parts i needed and she would see what she could do i did then i get a box with all the parts i need to make it drivable again!!! thank you grandma!!!she told me it was a xmas gift :p once the parts arrived i started cooking with gas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bonvo

bonvo Member

a buddy and i do a mock up of the body panels to see how its comming along
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i pull the drives door off i knew the hindges were bent because of the horror story of a trip to the weight station the po had told me (ask me if interested)
    [​IMG]
    then due to my injured knee (ive had it all threwout this project) i couldnt put the door back on :p im waiting on some help to do that but i put the motor bits on it to make her fire again after 15+ years

[​IMG]
    this is how she sits today im working on it more latly since i have recovered enough from the knee surgery to actually do somthing im thinking soon she will be doing my daily driver duties since i was recently in an accedent in my car and this doesnt have to be smogged :D anyway thats my story i hope i fit in on this forum

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  3. sbarlow8

sbarlow8 Member

Welcome

Great looking project and good luck with it! I'm in NorCal too and here's my project...her name is Peggy Sue.

www.photobucket.com/sbarlow8

Keep us updated on your success!

4. bonvo

bonvo Member

beautiful work man your alot farther then me (i have no welder access so welding anything is out of the question) we should get to gether sometime if your close and do some truck talk

5. gafcob

gafcob Member

Jon...your cab corners look pretty good...did you have rot? I was going to cut mine off this weekend, but never got to it. I was to busy pissing and moaning about everything else ..Your truck is the same color as Mine, and it looks like its a 3/4? I had no luck this weekend..everything I touched on my truck went south..nothing went right at all. At 4pm sunday, I called it ...and went inside and fell asleep.....Oh well..got a 5 day weekend coming up. I am doing nothing but cutting and welding my new cab corners. I HAVE TO COMPLETE SOMTHING>>>>>M/G

6. bonvo

bonvo Member

i have rot but not alot of it if i had batteries for my camera i would snap pics but its very little yes its a 3/4 ton long bed it was a work truck at some point one of the po's had welded in spare tire brakets and cut the rear fenders to shit the brakets were made out of i c channel and dimond plate the wood in the bed was replaced with dimond plate as well so in terms of bodywork on the bed i have alot to do but the cab is in great shape it was a total steal for the price

7. bonvo

bonvo Member

ok i have good news and bad news ill star with the good it runs the bad the radiator leaks like a stuck pig anyone on here have one for cheap or knows how to fix one? i was thinking plumbing solder might do it but im not sure

8. bonvo

bonvo Member

progress

got the door hung on the new hinges wow what a difference the door sits where it should!!! waht a concept got some of the sheet metal hung again
    pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

special thanks goes out to jason "roadrash" griffin (pictured at the right im on the left)

gafcob:
    this is the extent of my rot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NDtruck

NDtruck Member

Looking good. Keep it up.

10. bonvo

bonvo Member

well today i made it look like a truck again and i can actually get in and out of it :D pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  11. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Great project - can I borrow your grandmother? I ran out of money.

12. bonvo

bonvo Member

*dies laughing* you want her you sure about that? sometimes she is just plain mean

13. Texas53

Texas53 Member

Cool

I started work on a '57 back when I was your age (many years ago :( ). You are a lot further along than I ever got. Not enough time or money back then so I sold it for practically nothing. Keep up the good work.

14. bonvo

bonvo Member

ah see i have nothing but time on my hands lol money i dont have alot of but i have enough... the brakes are next and i get to move it to do them!!!!! and it will move under its own power!!!!!!!!!!! and as for working on this i have learned rust removal sucks :D

15. bonvo

bonvo Member

well as of yesterday it has moved under its own power for the first time in at least 18 years!!!!! i was so stoked till i got it on stands and find i didnt have the right line wrench:confused: so i just put it back then today when i got the right line wrench i went to start it and after about 20 tries it finally lights but misfires like a mother f**ker i pull the plugs and they have black shit caked on them so i gues i should lean it out a little and set the dwell and timing :D

16. scarab777

scarab777 Member

Hey fellow No Cal guy...I am actually in Boise, Idaho now and hate the cold but love it here. I noticed you had replaced your steps. What is the best way to get the old one out? You can email me cause it is easier at scarab777@cableone.net.

Thanks, Steve

17. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Looks good man!! i'm in nor cal also.

Cliff

18. bonvo

bonvo Member

where in nor cal maybe after i get my rig going we can meet up and talk trucks

19. bonvo

bonvo Member

truck took a huge step forward today i picked up a set of 16 inch rims off a chevy express 1 ton van

[​IMG]

painted them gloss black

[​IMG]

got some tires and mounted them up

[​IMG]

they will be getting a set of chrome beauty rings to top them off now i have a question for you guys how do you sugest i mount the center caps? they are just sitting on the hub right now im thinking maybe some spring tabs but im not sure yet

20. Don57

Don57 Member

Those caps are made to be mounted on the lugnuts. The special lugnuts have threads on the outside and the plastic "fake" lugs go thru the cap and screw onto the lugs. They've been using them for many years on vans and pickups so there's probably tons of them in junkyards. Not sure about the thread size.