Angle Strips in Truck Bed

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Just Learning, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Just Learning

Just Learning Member

I just pulled the old wood out of the bed of my 3/4 ton, 52 Chevy, and was surprised to find the angle strips on either side not just bolted into the wood and frame, but also apparently spot welded at about 6 inch intervals into the side of the bed frame.

Is that right? Is that how I should put my new ones in? If so, it seems to my untrained eye to screw up the timing of a paint job. You know, strip down, paint, then reinstall truck bed. But the if the reinstallation includes spot welding the angle strips, wont that mess up the paint job?

Thoughts?

Eric

2. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

Eric

Yep, the angle strips are welded on, but it should be the side panel not the bed frame they're welded to.

Mel

3. Just Learning

Just Learning Member

If the angle strips are welded onto the side panels, does that mean that I should be getting the folks who are doing my body prep and paint job to weld on new angle strips (mine are shot) before they paint?

But if they do, will I be able to get the new wood slats underneath them? I was assuming the wood goes in first, and then the angle strips on top?

Sorry to sound so confused on this. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

4. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

Eric

Yes, you need the angle strips on first - before you paint.

You put the bed wood underneath the angle strips as you start putting it in place from the outside working in. See this http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Bed_Restoration.html.

It's worth getting CD's booklet on bed rebuilding.

Mel

5. Just Learning

Just Learning Member

Thanks again, Mel. Great info and great web sites!
    Eric