Another transmission question

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by DoubleL, Sep 15, 2007.

1. DoubleL

DoubleL Member

1966 C10 w/327- I was thinking about a 700r4 but can get a really good deal on a rebuilt power glide. My truck currently has the 3-speed manual. How would this trans work with my stock rear end? Any thoughts?
    Thanks , Larry

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If your rear end is a 3:70 ratio the 700 R4 will work PERFECT. Forget the TH350, go to the 700R4. The savings at the pump will pay for the conversion in a short time.

Val

3. drabo

drabo Member

I couldn't agree more 700R4 is the only way to go. After the swap I noticed that I can go faster down the highway and my gas migleage is compairable to a newer truck. Besides I do belive top cruising speed with a powerglide is 55MPH.

4. billybones

billybones Member

unless you are drag racing primarilly........forget a powerglide..only 2 speeds, great for 1/8th mile tho.

5. billydonn

billydonn Member

If you want to really cruise you MUST have overdrive. For chirping tires around the drive-in...TH350 or 400 will do. But make sure you have loud stereo if you try to drive over 60...and you will be rebuilding your engine sooner too.

6. 283 man

283 man Member

really its up to whatever the person wants 2 speed powerglide are still used even 40 years later after they producted one of this days going to get one for my other 66 chevy them 350 turo & 400 turbo are also good but the 700r saves you money on the highway it all about what a man or woman wants in their truck.

7. billydonn

billydonn Member

He asked for transmission advice, eh? So I think its okay to give our opinions.

8. green&wide

green&wide Member

Yes people use them to keep the car original, but there is a reason that they have not made them for 40 years. I would not go through the conversion trouble for a powerglide.

9. 283 man

283 man Member

I would like to have a 2 speed powerglide just to put in my other 1966c-10 shortbed fleetside.

10. billydonn

billydonn Member

my last word

DoubleL: Looks like votes are currently four or five to one against the Powerglide. FYI, I too had a three-on-the-tree in my truck. If you just want to drive around locally going mostly slow, almost anything will do for a tranny. But take your truck out with the three speed (1:1 final ratio) and drive 70-75mph for awhile and look at your tach. It will show at least 3300 rpm depending on tire size. Listen to how loud the engine noise is. Now imagine being able to cruise that fast at 2000rpm! You can hear your radio. You get much better gas mileage- and you can arrive somewhere without a headache and your ears ringing. A very dang cool deal IMHO.

Your choice of tranny should be driven by what you want your truck to be able to do: mostly putt around locally, or really keep up cruising on the freeway? The decision is yours of course.

11. billybones

billybones Member

Funny conversation here. I had a t-10 4 speed with my 6 cyl before my swap and I only wanted to go about 45 mph!! Poor thing was just screaming over that. Our trucks were built in a time when people were in no rush to get anywhere anytime soon. Times have changed. (not neccessarilly for the better) Now that I have overdrive and can cruise at 75.........I realized in a hurry why everybody updates their suspensions!! These trucks were not made to hit bumps at 75.........

12. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

" I realized in a hurry why everybody updates their suspensions!! "

AND brakes !! ;)

Val

13. billydonn

billydonn Member

Extended fast cruising was rare in the 60s due to limited interstates, for one thing. Also, trucks were... well trucks... not supposed to go fast, just haul stuff. (Possibly also with our youth we did not even recognize discomfort when we felt it.)

Without improved suspension and brakes these trucks aren't much FTD (fun to drive). With my overdrive now sometimes downshifting to 4th (1:1) actually feels like opening a parachute... and that used to be top gear!

14. 283 man

283 man Member

No matter if a person likes or dislikes a 2 speed powerglide transmission it is a part of 1960-1966 truck era & cars of that era and before had 2speed powerglides its history that was a part of our trucks in the 60s its all up to a person what motor or transmission they want in their ride.Its called freedom of choose GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!:D:D

15. billydonn

billydonn Member

"...its history that was a part of our trucks in the 60s..."

283man,
    The three-on-tree, drum brakes, points distributor,etc, are all part of our trucks' history. Don't forget leaded gas and non-detergent oil. Feel free to retain as much of it as you wish! I'm sure DoubleL will still be able to make his own transmission choice- and certainly it could be a more informed choice, which is what forums like this are all about. :D

16. 283 man

283 man Member

All in the history of our trucks,my 1966 c-10 shortbed fleetside was owed by my Dad before me and I owe it now have for 18 years.I do what a 2 speed power glide on of these days going to get one.Fell free to retain the points ect... for yourself.Have a nice day billydonn:).