antenna location

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by merlin, Aug 2, 2001.

1. merlin

merlin Member

Greetings,
    I am installing a radio in my '65 C-10. As it has never had a radio in its life (it still has the panel covering the radio holes if anybody is looking for that panel) there is no antenna. I have an original type antenna, can anyone tell me where it should be located? Thanks,
    Merlin

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Merlin. My 64's is located on the right side cowl extension.

3. whynot

whynot Member

Hi Merlin,

Could you let me know the exact size of the cover you won't be needing? The previous owner of my truck cut a little more than the hole ( I think) and I'd like to know if the cover might fit my need.

Thanks!

Brandon

bmoon@alpinehi.com

4. Skippys62

Skippys62 Member

Hey merlin, he's right. It goes on the right side cowl extension, and goes in about a 1 inch hole.
    Skippy

5. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

Merlin,
    Well, it seems you might have some options. Sure, as the guys mentioned, that is the "original" location of the antenna. A slick trick that I've seen done (and did myself) is install a frenched retractable antenna through my gas tank inlet hole. Of course, I re-located the gas tank, and thought of doing this when I was left with a big hole on the side. Why cap it, when you can do something creative, right? Well, anyway, just a thought.
    Also, let me know how much you want for that panel, I am in dire need!!! If you need parts info, etc.. check out my website, The Chevy Portal. This is your "One Stop" for all your restoration needs! Check it out at www.geocities.com/chevyportal

Regards,
    Arizona64}>

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

I have a couple of antenna locations. one is on the right cowl extention and the other is on the left cowl extenstions.

7. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Now see? this is how it goes, Arizona just pointed out something I didn't think of when I so happily replaced the panel and I installed the one I had robbed from a 66 that had an antenna. It never occured to me to save the old part for when I sunk that antenna in the gas filler tube hole. I guess the moral to that story would be never ever chunk an old part no matter how much your wife and family tells you you should. I'm going to leave the old gas cap right where it is because I think it looks cool. But the gas tank will be relocated.
    Butch60Stp

8. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I don't EVER get rid of anything, unless I know it's absolutely useless. Sure, I get a lot of heat from the wife, but oh well, that's nature. The garage is my domain! Good luck with whatever you decide to do! My next project is to put Cadillac taillights in my truck! What do you think?

Regards,
    Arizona64