any tips to removing gauge cluster?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, May 24, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

I got the speedometer out. Want to remove the other gauge cluster to facilitate rewiring. Looking for tips or recommend approach? Denis

2. denisf

denisf Member

A bit of research suggests the oil and water temp gauges are driven by actual oil pressure and water temp use a bourdon gauge. So maybe I should not disconnect , if possible.

3. coilover

coilover Member

The main tip here is DO NOT break the capillary tube that goes to the temperature gauge. It may look like it unscrews from the back of the gauge but it doesn't. You have to remove the sending bulb from the engine, remove fire wall grommet, and then pull the capillary tube and sender bulb back through the fire wall as you pull out the gauge cluster. A $150 mistake if not followed. We figure on a day to install a new harness in a stock AD and two days if gauges/speedo need refinishing and switched to 12 volts with an alternator. Some of the street rodded ones with turn signals/4 way flashers, power windows, power seat, remote door latches and locks, blow your ears out sound system, cruise control, extra accessory ports, power antenna, HID head lights, alarm system, and the list goes on will take a big hunk of time and a big bite out of the owners wallet. If you memorize the names of the components that Bill Hanlon gave you then each wire has printed on it as to where it goes so a bit of patience and referring back to the schematic will get you to your goal. Something that confuses first timers is the horn button is called a horn switch and several other differences in nomenclature. The final tip is to ASK.

4. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks a bunch! Not sure I totally follow? I will find the sending bulb and remove no issue, grommet no issue. "pull the capillary tube" I assume it disconnects from the gauge somehow??? How about the oil pressure any tips? I really appreciate everyone's advice!

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Denis,
    The tube DOES NOT disconnect from the gauge (if you do disconnect it, that's where the $150 comes in to play-you have broken it). Think of the gauge and tube as ONE PIECE. So the sending unit (pressure or temp) needs to be removed from the engine and pulled thru the grommet/firewall so the gauge and its tubing can be removed as one piece.

6. denisf

denisf Member

Got it, thanks!

7. denisf

denisf Member

One more question, is the oil pressure the same or does that disconnect?

8. denisf

denisf Member

I traced temp line through firewall and to block. I see two connectors. a square looking nut and a larger regular looking threaded nut. How do you remove wet bulb and it looks tight to get through firewall? I must have to remove choke and throttle cables?

Attached Files:

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Oil pressure gauge can be disconnected at the rear of the gauge.

10. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks