Are a 1962 and 1963 power sterring box the same ?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by beachcomber, Apr 8, 2010.

1. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

I have a 1963 c-10 and I found a guy who has a factory power sterring box from a 1962 c-10. I am wondering if they are the same because i was told that the 1962 suspension was diffrent than the 1963. I figured someone here would know for sure. I already made the mistake of buying one from a 1969 that dosent fit without modifying my frame which i would rather not do as my frame is in perfect shape.
    Thanks
    Gary

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

60-62 had torsion bar suspension 63-66 had coil over suspension but the steering is the same from 60-66 ....Big Tim :cool:

3. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Thanks Big Tim, I knew someone here would be able to help.

4. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

it turns ouot they are diffrent, the 1962 mounts on the inside of the chassis and the 1963 mounts on the outside of the chasis. i knew it ws to good to be true.

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I have a 61 1/2 ton stepside and my steering box mounts on the outside of the frame rail, I also had a 65 stepside and the steering box mounted on the outside of the frame rail. So are you talking about power assist? or a actual steering box? Can you fabricate or weld a bracket to make the power assist work? This is what I did that worked really well, I used mid 70's spindles, power steering box, power brake booster, steering linkage,upper a arms, proportioning valve, all brake lines and disk brakes. On the 63-66 it's easy all you have to do is change the lower ball joints to the mid 70's and it all bolts in. The steering box bolts on with the help of an adapter kit or you can make some 1/2"-5/8" spacers to space the box away from the frame. On the 60-62 you have to take a 7/16"-1" tapered reamer and ream out the lower ball joint hole on the spindle to accept the original ball joints the rest is the same. I did this with very little expense, infact I probably made money because I bought a 77 Chevy truck and stripped it then sold all the extra parts. Sorry if my original advise didn't help you, maybe my new advise will....Big Tim :) 001.jpg

6. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

i was just hoping to swap the maunal steering box with a direct bolt in power steering box. I got a power steering box from a 1969 but it wont fit without using spacers and shortning the steering shaft. I guess this is the route i will have to take. Thanks for the advice, i also heard about swapping to a early 70's pickup front end to get discs brakes on the front.