Are brake parts same for ford and GM?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bilbo, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I need the parking brake arms for inside my rear drum brakes. Currie has arms listed for ford 9" rear end.... Would the Bendix parts be the same for my GMC? If not, does anyone have said parts available?

2. 1951chevy1ton

1951chevy1ton Member

parking brake arms

I have the park brake arms from a 48 one ton if they will work, interested, let me know

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Sorry, the earlier models have a different kind of brakes. The '52 has Bendix brakers just like all the way up to the '60's

4. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    One Ton,

Unbelievable, you sent the clevis on Saturday from Minnesota and it arrived in TN on monday. It is the right clevis and your check went out yesterday. I looked for a couple years to find those P-brake speader bars. Finally found them in a 55' sedan. I should of gone on here first.

Flashlight

5. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I'm still needing the spreader bars, and brake arms that attach to the brake shoe, for the park brake if anyone has such parts. I'm sure they are the same all the way up to the '60s......

6. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Hi Bilbo,i have my rear brakes just half assembled,would it help,if i make a drawing,so you could go to your local shop,to have them cut out,or even do it yourself? All you need,is lets say a 5mm steel plate and an angle grinder. Just give me a note,and i'll draw them!

7. johntaps

johntaps Member

No... there is vast difference between ford and GMC parts. So you cannot use the ford parts instead of GMC.

8. MotherTrucker

MotherTrucker Member

GMC and Ford

UHHHH,,is my GMC parts the sames like Fords be?
    If that wernt such a stoopid qeston,,id half to laff.
    Does a 14 inch tire work on a 15 inch wheel?

9. johntaps

johntaps Member

Well said...it will never works :)

10. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Did you even LOOK at what I asked? These are simple hardware parts, that very likely may be the same, although most Ford parts won't fit GM. Since the brakes are made by, in the case of GM, Bendix, and since I do not know who makes the brakes for Ford, it was a legitimate question....:mad:

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I do know that the hood hinge bolts are exactly the same from Ford and Chevy on a 53....I wouldn't be surprised to find that more things cross over.

12. sweet70beast

sweet70beast Member

Well, atleast you can spell MotherTrucker right.
    And yes it was a legit question.

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Thanks for the support... We tell everyone here, "There's no such thing as a stupid question", but apparently some don't subscribe to that Philosophy. I don't get offended easily, but for some reason That did it... I'll bet I'll get over it though ;)

14. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hey '70 Beast, got a picture of that '50 GMC you have listed on your posts? It happens, I've got a '50 GMC as well. :cool:

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If you found an old time mechanic.....from back when things got fixed, not replaced, he may be able to advise you on this. You could also find someone from Cuba, they are the craftiest I have ever heard of.....they have to keep their ides going no matter what. They have parts from all manufacturers on a single car.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bilbo

I hope so ! .

Typically when ignorant responses are made , it's because the person is afraid his ignorance will show so he tries to deflect it to you....

No worries , THERE ARE NO ' stupid questions ' ! I know , I ask some really bone headed ones but so what ? .

17. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Those are strut bars, you may even want to look at old mopars as well,,,;)