As Done as Its going to get.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50Jimmy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

For now anyways. Just wanted to share a picture of my jimmy that is "done" after all these years.

Attached Files:

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

Done

Awesome. I'm sure Zig will approve.:D

3. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

need more pictures. lookin good

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

All Done

Nice ~

No go DRIVE IT :) .

5. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Never say "Never"!

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Very Nice GMC I hope you enjoy driving it as much as the rest of our Members do theirs. I hope to be among those Driving mine soon, as well. How 'bout a couple more pictures? :cool:

7. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

I have been driving it quite a bit. I drove it last summer some to wring out the bugs. I found that the seal job I did on the gas tank was no good, as i got a fuel filter full of rust and crud every fifty miles or so. So...a new gas tank. The electric cooling fan looked nifty and seemed like a good idea, but it shuts its self off when it gets hot...which is a bit counter productive if your job is "fan". So back we went to fabricate a shroud and put the flex fan back on. The flex fan was too big for the shroud of course, so a few minutes with the tin snips, it fit better but still hits when the frame on the ol truck flexes. Now we will try a smaller nylon fan.

I dont think these things are ever "done". I have just hit a point that I needed to get it all one color, and get it on the road, because I am not going to live forever and was starting to lose interest. The black paint shows every little ding or defect in my do-it-yourself body work.

It looks great from thirty feet. I can live with that.

8. Zig

Zig Member

I'm lovin' it!

Nice GMC!!! So I'm thinking it has a V8 in it for some reason, no? Pictures of under the hood would be cool.
    I'm right there with you. I really want to get my GMC on the road too, and it keeps getting closer. Painting my pieces/parts should happen over labor day weekend!
    Is your color going to be the red of the running boards?

9. Zig

Zig Member

You know me so well!

10. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

Its a V8

yes it is a 350 v8. automatic transmission. 79 firebird rear end with 2:41 gears....(yes, 2:41) disk brakes and power steering by way of the kits sold here. 81 impala bench seat. Vintage air heat/airconditioning. Its a tire squealer if you want to. I do know it will run a lot faster than one should ever ever drive one of these old trucks without running out of breath. I have been getting 12 mpg driving it back and forth to work.

The running boards are actually orange. Kubota orange actually and the rest of the truck is Blitz black courtesy of the local john deere dealer. I did every bit of the work on it myself with the exception of the bore job on the engine block.

The black paint shows every little ding that I missed, but it looks good from thirty feet and I like it. I did build it for me, afterall.

11. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I recognize a lot of what you're saying. I've done all the work on mine as well. I advertise my paint job as a 30/30, Looks good from 30 ft away, or going by at 30 mph. I'm getting anxious to get mine on the road as well. They're a lot of fun to build but Driving is fun as well :D

12. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

ditto!!:d:d