ATF fluid leak problems

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 79Scottsdale, Mar 20, 2003.

1. 79Scottsdale

79Scottsdale Member

Hopefully someone can help me with this. All of a sudden my automatic transmission fluid is leaking out, and I am having a difficult time telling where it is coming from. It leaks out about 2 quarts a week but the transmission dipstick tells me that it is full,( of course I add some fluid every week to compensate for the fluid lost.) I replaced my filter and transmission pan gasket and it does not seem to be coming out of there. I also replaced the kickdown and it also shows no signs of leaking. The gromet/gasket between the transmission and the tube for the dipstick was a lso replaced and it does not leak from there either. I don't know where lese to look, when I crawl under the truck while it is leaking to find out, I can not see where it is coming from! Any suggestions!

79Scottsdale

2. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member

Hey,take off your flywheel dust cover and see if your front seal is leaking.if it is your torque convertor will have transmission fluid all over it.if so you will have to pull your transmission out to replace it.good luck:9

3. Apache_

Apache_ Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-03 AT 11:01 PM (CST)]Another place to look is on the dipstick/fill tube where the bracket is spot welded on that bolts to the bell housing. It can be a hard one to spot, but if you don't find leaks any other place, that might be it-the tubes aren't too expensive, as I remember. Also, if the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator goes bad, ATF will get sucked through the vacuum line into the intake. Pull the line off the modulator-it should not have any oil in it. If it does, replace the modulator. Good luck.

4. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Member

Perhaps I'm confused. If your dipstick is reading full, why are you adding fluid? Just because you have lost some?

There is the possibility that it is OVERFILLED, in which case it will blow it out, causing you to think it is leaking. Try leaving it alone until it gets down to the add mark. I'm guessing your "leak" just might go away.

JP