backfiring issue

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by DoubleL, Sep 14, 2007.

1. DoubleL

DoubleL Member

Hey guys,
    Well I finished a deluxe engine dress up kit on my 66 C10. I also changed the timing chain. The problem is now at high revs it backfires real bad. I was very careful to align the timing marks on the gears and nothing else was changed during the process.
    any ideas?
    Thanks

2. 283 man

283 man Member

I might be wrong but it sounds like your timing is off 180,try timing it see what that does.

3. DoubleL

DoubleL Member

Thanks 283 man. This morning after 8 hours of sleep and a cup of coffee, I discovered I had a couple plug wires crossed.This was even though I checked them oh about 80 times last night!

4. 283 man

283 man Member

Your welcome no problem been there before myself with plug wires being crossed,that will make it back fire:eek:loud enough sometimes even sounds like a gun going off.:rolleyes:

5. uintajack

uintajack Member

Re: backfire

Did you happen to install new plug wires, and if so, are they carbon? If that's the case, try putting your old wires back on to see if the backfire disappears.
    Or, if the distributer advance had been adjusted to compensate for a worn timing chain/gear, it would have to be reset now.
    Or, if you have a manual choke, did you happen to disconnect the cable or otherwise effect the choke function?
    Also a thought for future endeavors - always do one thing at a time, then check the engine's performance. That way you have fewer places to look if you have a problem. Good luck!