Bad Rubber Parts

Discussion in 'Classic Parts of America Talk' started by junkman2, Aug 18, 2000.

1. junkman2

junkman2 Member

While the majority of parts supplied by Chevy Duty are of good quality, I would like to report that various rubber parts which I have recently purchased are cracking and deteriorating in less than a years time.

Some examples of parts I have purchased for my 1955 stepside include the hood bumpers just ahead of the cowl vent, and the boots supplied with replacement tie rod ends. The tie rod end boots cracked in a week, while the hood bumpers are about 9 months on the vehicle, and they have swollen and are badly cracked. As is usually the case with replacement parts of dubious asian origion, I don't believe that they are made to the same standards as U.S. parts.

I'm going to be needing some other rubber parts, weatherstrips and the like, and am wondering if any other restorers out there have had similar problems. Understandably, I don't want to get stung again. The climate this summer has been cool and rainy here in Ohio, not the type of conditions which would be expected to cause rubber to decay in such a short time.

2. Craig

Craig Guest

Junkman,sorry to hear that you are having problems with our rubber products.The tie rod ends are made by one of our competiter.We are currently in the middle of making those fit the 1/2 and 3/4 tons.Right now they only fit the 1/2 tons and they don't do that very well.They can crack the boots out.I looked up your order and will be sending you a set of urethane boots.They should work better for you.The hood bumper set you received is made over seas but they are made to a very high quality standards.We have had more problems with stuff that is made in the USA then overseas.You mentioned that they were swollen out.If that is the case you need to adjust your hood so that it is not closing too far down.The bumpers are to keep the two pieces of metal from rubbing.You will have to play around with adjustments to get a close body line and not overstressing the bumpers.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. junkman2

junkman2 Member

Craig:

Thank-you! I recieved the new tie rod boots last weeek, and they look much more substantial.

Regarding the hood bumpers, although it is possible that the hood has settled somewhat on its 45 year old hinges, further inspection reveals that the hood is not even resting on the bumpers for the most part. The replacement rubber is of a really soft durometer, and it seems more likely that it was not properly cured. The cracks are all around the perimeter of the bumper, and not in the middle

On a related issue, a replacement steering column floor seal has a bunch of small cracks in it all over, which are especially visible when it is flexed during installation. I'm not a sledgehammer mechanic, and I was careful with the part. Suggest you guys do some more investigation with your suppliers, as this does not appear to an isolated problem with one part, i.e. the tie rod boots.

4. Bowtie

Bowtie Member

I have had those problems with Harmons as well. Doing a resto this winter and looking for good quality rubber as well for my 65 sb ss. My filler grommet cracked withing a week, and looked worse than the old one by the end of the month, switched to a fuel cell instead so I shouldn't have those problems.

Sounds like Chevy Duty stands behind thier product pretty well, more than I got from others. Are those the only parts you had problems with, and what other rubber did you purchase?

And the search goes on

Bowtie

Blown 65 C-10 Short Bed Stepside

5. 50Jimmy

50Jimmy Member

Craig: Are the new tie rod end boots in the catalog? I put on new tie rod ends and the power steering kit for my pickup, and about half of the boots are split already, and the truck has never left the garage yet(at least not under it's own power.)