Bad Vibrations.......

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by texascowboy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Okay I just put new wheel bearing on my 83 and it seems to be doing fine,
    except now when I get too 70mph or faster the whole truck shakes.
    Yes I rechecked the bearings and the nuts and all is good. Today I went to my local shop they put it on the lift and checked evrything from the drive shaft to the front end and everything is good, then I went and had the rims redone and they are good so, any other suggestions??
    This is really bugging me, truck also has lot more play in the steering, you
    get behind me and I look like I'm drunk.....:eek:

Help?? thanks in advance!!!

2. totalperfektion

totalperfektion Member

Is your drive shaft balanced?

3. TGC

TGC Member

Sure you got the right bearings?They do make a heavy duty bearing that is different.I bought some recently and that's what they gave me and I had to take them back.

4. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Yeah driveshaft is good and balanced.
    Yes I got the right bearings, took the old ones with me.....thought of this;
    Right after I got the truck, I redid the bearings maybe 8or 9 months ago,
    so why would the bearings go out so quick?? Maybe need to start looking at the front end, but what and where? I did have to have the sterring box reweiled to the frame, but that is tight.
    Totallay lost!!

5. David Hall

David Hall Member

The steering has alot more play now compared to when? The steering box can be adjusted. I don't think it would cause vibrations though. Think of it this way, vibrations come from something out of balance that rotates.

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Does the steering wheel move back and forth at that speed. Maybe balancing the wheels. check the tires & wheels bad wear hits tires to old.
    Shock bushing maybe? It's really hard when you can't hear or see the truck we can just take best stab things maybe be it. Maybe take some time have nice good look under at all the parts, then do the testing of the sup part. Some times after that it might hit you or it might just pop up in after that. Good luck hope some of this might help.

7. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

No the steering wheel does not shake at any speed. Its the whole truck,
    and it seems to be coming from the front end. It feels like from the right side
    and it s hard to describe. does not look like anything under the truck in messed up but I think I'm gonna have a pro look at it. Thanks for all th advice I'll let ya'll know what happens.

8. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

I Would Double check the Idler arm on the front steering for play TC . I Know You said You had it Checked , But when it Comes to Brakes & Frontends I Trust no One :eek: . Jack the front end up & See if You have play by turning the Steering tires back & forth by Hand. Make sure its on Jackstands. Good luck. Bob

9. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

okay did this and yes there is some {very slight} play in the steering but i had the steering box checked out and its good . what next?? how can i check the rest of the front end without hurting or killing myself??

10. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

Does same thing under load and decel? Same if thrown in neutral at vibration speed? Enough toe-in in front end alignment to eliminate shimmy?

You must know Sunray Engineering.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  11. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:confused: say what?? got me all confused.
    please put this in english!! :D

12. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

TC, Have You Checked the Idler arm itself to Make sure it Doen,t have even any Up & down Play ? Sure sounds like what Yer Problem is to me .

To Be Certain, Just jack up 1 side of the Front end & recheck for sideways Movement or Slop in the steering by Moving the tire & wheel back & forth . If There apears to be THEN, Pay attention to the Idler arm Movement. Hope thats clear , I aint real good at explanin things . Best of luck . Bob

13. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

Is the vibration the same at that speed if you are accelerating, coasting or decelerating? At the vibration speed, have you put vehicle in neutral/push in clutch to eliminate the possibility of engine/flywheel clutch issue? Is your front end alignment correct? Enough toe in, caster, camber? I take it you have a 4x2 not a 4x4 corrrect? If 4x4, is steerring stabilizer gone?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  14. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Okay now I get it but, my truck is automatic and the viberation happens when I am at the speed of 55+ . I have checked everything and can't seem to find any thing wrong. The only thing I can think of now is a bad rim
    but according to the tire shop they all have good balance and are in good shape. I know this sounds nuts but, can a tire size be too much? I am running 31x10x15 goodrich all terrians and the truck is a true 1/2 ton 1500
    could this be the problem? Going to re check everything again feel like I'm still missing somwthing. Thanks for the help!! :D

15. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Bob, hey man you explained it well enough for me to understand it.
    Thanks... :D

16. David Hall

David Hall Member

Texas try moving the front tires to the rear and see what happens.

17. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Hey David, what's up??
    already tried that, I was planning on putting it back on jack stands and rechecking everything again, but mother nature had other plans. :(
    started raining and its gonna get worse as the week goes on.
    tht's ok cause we need the rain badly, so I might take it to my mech and let him help me look at it....in his garge. Thanks.

18. David Hall

David Hall Member

Not to jack your thread BUT did you check out the pics of my baby? Whoops, forgot to add the pic. EDIT
    By any chance could it be the rotors?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  19. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D no I have not seen the new pics. yet but, I will!!
    anyway, check this out...I took my truck to my mech. yesterday and told or asked him to inspect it from front to back, he went over that truck with a fine
    tooth comb and found nothing wrong with anything at all.
    I mean he said the front end was tighter than a baby's butt, all he did was grease all the fittings. He test drove it and said he felt the same slight viberation, so he called his brother {who owns a tire shop} and when he got there they looked it over again and still nothing. we all have come to the conclusion that I have a bent rim or bad tire, so tommorow I am headed to the tire shop and he is gonna rebalance my tires and see if this does the trick.
    The rims that I have on the truck now use those "sticky weights" and he thinks I might have thrown them. :eek:

so what do you think?? oh yeah almost forgot they even checked the bearings and the rotors and hubs.

20. David Hall

David Hall Member

It's hard to find dedicated people like that anymore. Let us know what you find.