Bed Assembly Help

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58fleetside, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

I finally got my bedsides, wheel wells and bed front all in the same location. Anybody have recommendations for bed assembly? My truck is a 58 Long Bed Fleetside.

2. steve

steve Member

Fleetside

I like the look of the fleetside. I have one of the little books on how to assmable the bed that our host sells, PM me your address and I will send it, I dont need it anymore. The bigest decision is keeping the (yours is still a wood bed) wood stock black or staining. I think assamably is front panel, rear lower cross member square up everything tighen. Place the wood and slats then maks sure all looks and fits well then tighten. Drilling the little offset washer can be trickey, just take your time. I also place a small weight to kep the bolt from rising up while tighting the nut from under the bed.

Attached Files:

• bed.jpg
      bed.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • truck.jpg
      truck.jpg
      File size:
      139.7 KB
      Views:
  3. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Steve, when I tried to send a PM, I get this message:

steve has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

4. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Where should the wood end in relation to the cross members? Mine hangs over about 1.5 inches. :confused:

5. steve

steve Member

Wood on sides

I looked and can't see where my PM is turned off; (slang9459@aol.com) is my e-mail.

If you speaking of the wood at the side of the bed (bedsides) long dimension of wood, it's almost flush, maybe 1/16 over the bed support rails. I assembled my complete bed and place the wood after. Using 3/4 scrap for the bed to rest on until the good wood was installed.

The bedside welded inside steel angle is sitting on scrap ¾ inch wood or it will just fall thru. The cross members are not stable enough until the wood is installed. Start wood installation from the center and working out,. Tighten all at the end.

6. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

Had to widen the grooves on every piece of wood to make it fit! Now to take it apart and finish it.

Attached Files:

7. bonvo

bonvo Member

love the look of the fleet side beds might look into one for my 56 i know they didnt come on the 56 trucks but i think it would look good

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

If You Like It ,

Then build it the way YOU WANT ! .

You're paying so you get to choose .