Bed blocks, cross sills and side rails

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ricos54, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

I'm getting ready to install my 4 link, but first I need to get my bed in order. I'm replacing the side rails on both sides of the bed walls. There's only one rail on the drivers side but it's on it's last limb. I orders the 2 77" side rails 3 cross sills to hold the bed up and I ordered the blocks that go underneath. I thought it was funny that I only got 4 blocks instead of 6. My truck was totally stripped so I never seen what it looked like stock. I wanted to see if anyone could put some pick's up of where the cross sills go on the frame to hold the bed up and where the blocks go so I can have a idea what to do. I'm not going to use the stock boards for the bed floor. Probably going to use one solid 3/4" wood or diamond plate.

Thanks

2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Hi Rico. I'll post a couple of pics showing my bed installed, without the boards, yet. The 4 blocks go at the front and about 2ft from the rear of the bed. Don't need blocks at the rear, just rubber pads, as the rear cross sill is different from others and provides the proper spacing. The front cross sill is different as well as it needs holes to bolt the front of bed to. The real long bed bolts go near the front, as they pass through the top and bottom of the frame rails. Here are some pics. Just ask, if you have questions. Bill

Attached Files:

3. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thank you Bill that really helps a lot. The only question I have is the wood wedge towards the front, is that a stock item for the cross sill to sit on?

Thanks,
    Rico

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

The wedge was placed there as a 'place holder', as that cross sill, when installed, does not touch the frame so I blocked it up in place for fitting. Good catch, though!

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Comparing apples to oranges!

Remember that the '54 bed is completely different than the '47-'53 beds. The early Chevy and GMC beds were very different, as were the frames they attached to.

Ken

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I didn't realize that, Ken. Thanks for the information. FYI, I installed my bed on a 52 Chevy chassis, so I guess that's the info I provided.....

7. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Actually the only thing 54 on my truck is the frame and cab. My bed, fenders and front clip are 1950. I call it the frankinstien truck. Piece it together to get the look I want. Lol

8. Chiro

Chiro Member

bed

Then I believe you are going to have some trouble using the stock blocks when trying to fit the early bed onto a '54 frame. You may be able to do it, but remember, the fenders attach to the bedsides, then the running boards attach to the fenders and to the filler pieces that also attach to the bedsides. It probably is not going to be easy. Probably a lot easier to get a '54-'55.1 bed.

Andy

9. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Myself I don't like the flat bed rails. Personally the 45 degree bed rails have more character to me. I've already put the truck together once not to bad. :rolleyes: