Bent Push Rod on my 51

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by geoffrey562, Dec 28, 2009.

1. geoffrey562

geoffrey562 Member

Hey guys,

First of all I am a novice mechanic at best. My truck has ran wonderfully for years. Ten to be exact. Last weekend I started up my truck and heard a strange knocking. I invited a friend over (better, but still average mechanic) and he told me it sounded like a push rod problem. The knocking was intermittent. So we took the valve cover off and noticed that one of the push rods were loose. The rest appear to be fine. I can't really tell if it's bent, but it's clearly not the same as the others.

Where do I go from here? Where can I find a replacement, and is this a repair I can do? I feel confident in my abilities and with the help of you guys and friends... Looking for some opinions.

Thanks,
    Geoff in So Cal

2. coilover

coilover Member

Pull coil wire. Bump engine over with starter till rocker is in it's uppermost position. Loosen lock nut on adjuster screw and back adjuster screw all the way out. Push rocker to one side, it will compress the spring in the rocker shaft. Once rocker arm allows enough clearence to remove push rod WIGGLE the push rod side to side to free from lifter and pull the push rod out. Find a flat surface and roll the push rod across it, it's obvious if bent. Look at both ends carefully to examine for wear or pitting. If it's bent--straighten it and re-use. The wiggle is so you don't pull out the lifter with the rod, highly unlikely on one you've driven for ten years.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What Evan said !

Then , get a hand pump oiler and fill it with ATF & squirt it between the valve springs to lubericate the valve stem as it's _stuck_ and that's what caused the bent push rod .

This may happen again , consider changing to fully synthetic oils .

If the engine is tired , rebuild the cylinder head and insist on BRONZE valve guides to avoid this problem ever happening again .