Betcha never seen one of these.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Went to the Saturday night show and shine tonight. Only 30 or so cars showed up as there were heavy rains in the area. It sprinkled for a few minutes and that ran 10 of the cars off. Then it cleared off and we had a beautiful spring night.

Anyway, I was looking at this 48 Chevy car which ought to get Ken's juices going. I'm pretty sure his first car was a 48 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

Around on the other side I found this. Who has seen one?
    [​IMG]

I post another picture once we get a good answer.

2. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

3. coilover

coilover Member

I have seen similar devices on delivery trucks for backing up but they have one mirror on the door and the other on the back bumper.

4. Tubby

Tubby Member

5. put-put

put-put Member

Used to allow driver to see in the "blind spot" on your left and next to the left rear of your vehicle.

Nate, any place I can get a really good carb float gauge for my original 54 Chevy 235 with Rochester carb? I have bought 2-3 carb kits over the yrs and only 1 had a gauge, and it was paper!

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sweet '48!

Nice car! And yes, that was not the first, but the second car I ever owned! That is a Fleetline sedan, top of the line in 48! Mine was a Stylemaster coupe! Note the RPO artillery wheels! Rare nowadays! The mirror was called the "passing eye" and allowed you to ease over the middle line of the road and see oncoming traffic. They were aftermarket assessories!

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The idea is that when trying to pass that 18 wheeler on a two lane road you can stay in your lane, look into this mirror and see both ahead down the side of the 18 wheeler ahead of you for oncoming traffic and also make sure the guy in line behind you hasn't pulled out to pass both of you.

[​IMG]

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Things

Hi there ! .

Didja miss me ? . (I thought not) . I was out in Tonapah , Az. blowing the engine up in my Nash Metropolitan .

Anyways Put-Put , I use the cardboard thing ,it's been the same since 1962 that I know of....

I usually clean the carby , assemble it and test drive ~ if it runs out lean , it's a simple thing to remove the Air Horn and adjust the float tang .

Ditto of it runs too rich or weeps more fuel than you can handle from the joint .

Better yet , find a good Carter YF and slap that on ~ you'll be amazed .

9. put-put

put-put Member

Good on ya Nate! A Carter what??? Just kidding....

Thanks,

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" A Carter "

IIRC , he was a Georgian peanut farmer back in the 1970's......

:p .

Apparently , no one cares i killed my poor old Metropolitan Nash FHC far from home .