Block casting number?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by 69c10step, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 69c10step

69c10step Member

On the lower half of the block on my 350 is "010". Can somebody tell me what this means. I'm new to the game, so this may be an obvious answer to some. It seems as if every number that is stamped or cast into the block has some significance, but I don't think I've heard any reference to this location on the block. I think it is on both sides and is between the exhaust and oil pan. It is also the easiest # I've been able to read.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

From the locations you gave it sounds like the block casting date, but the code you gave, 010, does not equate to a date code.

Check here http://www.mortec.com/location.htm for a detailed explanation of date codes, casting numbers, and their locations.

Val

3. 69c10step

69c10step Member

THIS WAS COPIED FROM MORTEC.COM
    "Some of the Gen.1 smallblock motors used blocks with an additional 1% tin and an additional 2% nickel added to the cast iron alloy. These desirable blocks can be identified by looking at the block face under the timing chain cover for "010" AND "020". These designators can also sometimes be found on the rear face of the block inside the perimeter of the bellhousing mating surface."
    This is the only reference I could find to "010", but obviously it is not where I had indicated.

I was going to add a photo of the # and location, but I couldn't figure out how.
    Anyway, it is definately "010" and is located on both sides of the block. It is cast in and about 1'' tall numbers. When I was looking at it again, I also saw the number "38" cast on the bottom below the fuel pump???? Any thoughts?

4. drabo

drabo Member

I do belive that 010 represents the amount of nickle in the steel.

5. redbeast

redbeast Member

I belive you are right on the casting numbers and the nickel content. I've got the same numbers on both sides of my 350 block where you mentioned.The number on the bottom of the fuel pump mount is usually the engine displacement. Mine is a 350 and reads "35" yours may be a 383 or it may actually be a "35" if the number is covered in grime and difficult to read.
    I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an original factory 383 Gen I block out there. I know of HT-383 crate engines that are 350 stroked out to 383 from the factory, but to my knowledge they are only sold as high performance replacements and not original equipment engines.
    Here's a web site that may help you further than I can. I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means. http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/

6. Joesgarage

Joesgarage Member

010 ref. to the casting number as in 3970010, this number is usually on the bellhousing lip at the rear of the block on the left side.