Box the frame or not

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Mike Corsetti, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mike Corsetti

Mike Corsetti Member

I have a 1957 gmc 1 ton. And I am going to put a 454 in it this is my first restore / build and I am unsure if I need to box the frame or not. Any suggestions on this?

2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Probably would not hurt to box the frame in, But I have seen big block motors in 55-59 trucks that have Not been boxed in. Might depend on how you plan on using the truck,
    are you going to Drag Race, Road race, or Daily drive it, 4x4 it? how hard you planning on getting your foot into that motor? I have a C4 Corvette IFS and installed a Flat Out Engineering's
    Kit in the Front and you do Box the front end in for this application, I removed the front cross member in my application, so the front boxing of the frame is pretty much necessary.
    My thinking on your truck being a 1-Ton Frame you should be fine without boxing it in though,
    Good luck with the build,
    Allen

Mike Corsetti likes this.
  3. Mike Corsetti

Mike Corsetti Member

Thank you i just plan on using it for a cruise around truck and the occasional towing of a boat type of vehicle no big race plans for this guy

4. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

I personally think you would be fine with the one ton frame the way it is.
    again Good luck with the build,
    Allen

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

What are you planning to use for motor mounts? Attached to the crossmember or the frame? That may drive the decision as to if you will box the frame.

Mike Corsetti likes this.
  6. Mike Corsetti

Mike Corsetti Member

That is a good point i hadn't even thought about it and seen as i was thinking about upgrades on the front end like to do a mustang 2 type of thing i believe that I just won't have much choice but to spend a little more time and money to box it.