Brake drums

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Larrys 48, May 16, 2011.

1. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

I'm onboard about not turning my original drums. Is there anything I can or should do to the surfaces to improve the friction with the new brake pads? I have removed the rusty spots with steel wool and cleaned them with brake cleaning fluid. They look polished and shiny. Thanks,

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

They're fine .

Next time , use 600 grit sandpaper for a roughter surface .

FWIW , the best break in if new or re lined brake shoes is : make lots of complete stops from 25 ~ 30 MPH using gentle brake pressure .

If you have the patience , 30 stops will do a really good job and your brake shoes will work better & last surprisinly longer too .

3. Wolf

Wolf Member

Larry that is what I did on mine also. I got some NOS huck drums and they were a bit rusty. Some 600 grit, followed by one of those scotch pads, did the trick. They have been working great for the last year or longer. And i have put a lot of weight in the bed of my truck ;) My huck brakes work fantastic!!!

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" My huck brakes work fantastic!!! "

Braggart ! :rolleyes: .

5. Wolf

Wolf Member

Not sure what that word is, but I will take that any day;) I sure don't mind them huckers!!! But I do keep the pedal nate style high and tight!!!