brake upgrade

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by dino, Jul 23, 2000.

1. dino

dino Member

I need to know if I can upgrade the brakes in my 65 chevy 1/2 ton. Can I bolt in the steering knuckels,control arms and disc brakes from a later model truck? what all is involved with the swap? I thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Craig

Craig Guest

You can use a later model front suspension.Find one off a 71 or later 1/2 ton pickup.Be sure to get all the front suspension and tierods.You might try and get the wheels while you are at it.You will need some five lug wheels once you are done.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Dino. There are numerious magazine articles on brake conversions. Check back issues of Custom Classic Trucks and Classic Trucks. You didn't say if you have a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. You have two routes. Do it yourself with a doner 70's, pulling all the parts, spindles, tie rod ends etc. OR, there are numerious suppliers of kits for a power & non powered disk brakes. Master Power, Early Classic etc.
    Do your homework ! Research what is available against what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend. Personally, I think when it comes to braking and steering, don't cut any corners, this is money well spent and involves your life.

I completed a power steering, power disk brake conversion on my 64 over the winter. The braking is un-by-god-believable and you can't believe how easy it is to steer even with Goodyear GT II's all around.

Good luck & Regards Dennis

4. piginheaven

piginheaven Member

Hey Dino,

I was just courious where you live if you live in the Ky area, I can help you out with this I have the parts that you need please e-mail and let me know, thanks piginheaven