Brakes needing fluid

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Jan 8, 2007.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

My brake light has recently come on, and the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor before anything happens. It still stops but takes much longer. I checked the fluid level and it was low. I filled it up to the line and the light went off and after a few pumps pressure started to build back up in the pedal so it was working better (not perfect, but better).

That lasted a few days and the same thing happens. The strange thing is I can't find any drips on the ground, or in the wheels, or anywhere. Everything looks pretty dry.

I do not have the hydraboost thing. What should I start looking at? It's strange because they worked for a long time and all of a sudden this happens, I traced the lines as best as I could and they looked old but normal.

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Did you check proportion valve area and around the cross frame, rubber lines can good some times but have a small crack when turning can leak a little,lines across the diff another place they like to go, rear wheel cylinder hard to see if you do not take off the drum, line going to the back 1973-1980
    the gas tank hides a lot of the long line that goes to the rear, rear rubber line,
    master cylinder the two fitting . If you still do not find where try to pressure wash all the brake lines as much as you can.Let it sit and dry.Then pump the brakes and hold them tight for a min or two maybe do this twice recheck all area's again. ( depending on how hot the temp is you might have to let it sit a day)

3. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Sinerasis, if you can't find any leaks, even after checking inside drums etc., you likely have a leak at the back of the master cylinder. This fluid will leak into the vacuum booster, and you won't see it. You usually can take off the nuts holding the master cylinder on, and pull it away from the booster far enough to shine a light into the booster. if you see fluid puddled in the bottom, there you go. If it is a fresh leak, you can usually just remove the fluid from the booster and replace the master cylinder. If it is a very old leak, it may have ruined the rubber diaphragm in the booster. Good luck....Mike

4. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

The weather isn't working with me, so I'm kinda on hold. Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check them out once it's a little warmer. :)