brakes on a 50

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by brit 50, Dec 9, 2005.

1. brit 50

brit 50 Member

hi guys, british chap here, has anyone installed a front disc brake kit on a 50 chevy3100 with original wheels? what problems if any are there? also i am about to totally rebuild my chassis and running gear, any tips or advice about this much appreciated, i would like to keep it fairly original but will alter it if it improves how it drives. great trucks these chevys.

thanks

he may have made the earth and heavens in 7 days but it must have taken a little longer to make my truck!

________
    Z

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: DISCbrakes on a 50

Yep ;

It's been done a dozen times , the # 1 problem is the wheels rubbing on the tie rod ends after .

A buddy of mine used Datsun pickup calipers & hubs as the bolt pattern is the same , he had some simple caliper brackets made up and had to add a couple bearing spacers but it all bolted up and used the original master cylinder in his 1939 GMC....

I bet if you go to The StoveBolt Page .com and search the archives you'll find a buncha info on this .

I wonder if Chevy Duty sell disc brake kits ? you DON'T need a power brake booster for this mod ! .

-Nate

3. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Yes Chevy Duty does offer a disc brake 6 lug set up but it will not work with your original wheels, even with spacers it will still rub the caliper, we offer 2 diffent kits with the booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, calipers, rotors, brackets and hardware.

the second is the same kit with out the booster master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

4. brit 50

brit 50 Member

ok thanks for that but if my stock wheels dont fit disc conversion, what will??????????. i would prefer a stock look rather than alloy wheel look. if you supply the kit you must have an idea what wheels you can fit rather than the ones you cant! you know us brits need help sometimes.

he may have made the earth and heavens in 7 days but it must have taken a little longer to make my truck! :+

________
    BLACK GIRL

5. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Check out companies like Wheel Vintiques, or Stockton Wheel, they have a bunch of different styles. They can also make them to your needed size. Prices aren't to bad, and they have a large choice of center caps too. I upgraded to 5 lug front discs, and used a 16 x 8 rim with 4 inch backspacing with no clearance problems. I did have a 15 inch junkyard rim mounted when checking sizes, and don't remember clearance issues, but have read many places stock rims may not work. I had to go 16 inch to clear the rear discs. I would just be prepared to upgrade the rims as part of the brakes. Hope this helps..........Mike

6. brit 50

brit 50 Member

hey thanks mike, details of backspacing great help, are you running stock beam axle or dropped? or are you independant front? what sort of rear end should i go for, is the stock one ok if rebuilt, ive built many rods and racecars in uk but this is my first truck, so am a bit lost. i want to build a mainly stock whitewalled fifties style truck with mild tuned stovie, so any help with old school stuff is a great help.

he may have made the earth and heavens in 7 days but it must have taken a little longer to make my truck!

________
    Ffm couple

7. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

I am running the stock I beam solid axle. I've upgraded to 4 wheel powers discs, front and rear sway bars, changed to an open driveline with a 1980 Camaro 10 bolt, front monoleafs, and rear Dodge Caravan multileafs. Front shocks are high pressure nitrogen, rear are 1/2 ton truck with custom mounts. I've also move the gas tank under the bed. I am currently looking into possibly having the axle dropped a bit, as I would reaaly like to go a little lower in the front. I have 16 x 8 Corvette style rally rims. It has a 261 inline 6 that I want to add headers and dual carbs to, and a granny low 4 speed. I also converted it to 12 volts, added a radio, and rewired most of it. In the process of insulating and carpeting, as well as replacing the glass, etc. It has been a long project, mostly due to money, but very fun. I love to drive it and get many looks and positive comments wherever I go. The end goal is to have a safe, reliable truck, that I can drive whenever, and wherever I feel like going.

P.S. Decide what you want out of the truck first. Driver? Hauler? Cruiser? Hot rod?
    That will help decide the suspension, etc. Rebuilt stock suspension works fine for a cruiser, but if you want to go more than 55-60 mph, or lower it to the ground, you will need some modifications. Just remember, once you chop it up, it is hard to put back together. Like another member says, there are a ton of crappy, half finished projects out there for sale cheap. Don't make their mistakes.
    Hope this helps.....Mike

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Mike, you have been a great help, i was thinking of keeping the stock running gear set up but putting dics on and maybe a droped axle on front as there does'nt seem to be much room for lowering any other way, mind you my front springs were busted during shipping due to too tightly strapped down so its a bit too low anyway ha ha, i can get new leafs made over here. im not too fussed about high speeds in the truck, my street racing days are long gone, so maybe stock will do, why have you gone for nitrogen shocks are standard no good? im going for moded cam edelbrock twin manifold and headers too, engine is ok but i just want to perk it up and make it sound good too, any pics of yours? mine is just beat up ol hauler at the moment but am building a garage next to house to start rebuild in. rewire due as well so any tips for 12v conversion much appreciated. during rebuild any problems with stock stuff i should look out for? most cars have a few inherent bugs. mines a 50' 235 4speed all stock eccept huge railway bumper on rear, looks hideous but it sorta grows on you, is it advisable to frame mount gas tank?, jees i got a load of questions!!! i will shut up now

thanks again

________
    Threesome Chinese