broken bolts

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Hey Guys and Gals
    what is the best way to remove broken bolts out of a exhaust manifold flange??the 216 is out now garage art the 235 in not hooked up yet.
    Thanks
    Robert

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Exhaust Flange Bolts

Couple different ways here Robert :

If no stud sticking out , I'd suggest drilling and tapping it or having it removed by plasma cutter ($ !) by a machine shop .

If there's 1/4" or more sticking out , find a BIG , thick fander washer (oversized flat washer) and slip it over the broken stud then put a nut on it, have a competent welder weld the nut to the broken stud , then heat it up with a gas torch until it's white hot and cool rapidly with water until it's cool to the touch , it should back right out but DO NOT FORCE IT as the ear will crack and the manifold be ruined .

The big flat washer prevents weld splatter from damaging the manifold .

Let me know how it goes as I might know the whereabouts of a good used one .

I'm sure you know to use STUDS in the flange , NEVER bolts .

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

broken

Thanks Nate bolts broke off flush with the flange.

4. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

manifold

I might be selling my 216 split manifold done by a pro

5. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

If it's broke off flush you can try this...... Drill through the center of the stud and try an easyout but before you pound the easyout in to the hole soak it down with a penetrating oil then heat up the outside of the manifold with a torch red hot. The heat will draw the oil in to the threads and some times you will hear a popping sound which is the manifold expanding away from the stud. Drive in the easyout and try to back it out. Careful not to force it or you will break the easyout. In the event that you do break the easyout let me know and I will tell you an easy way to get it out......Big Tim :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I want to know your trick with removing the broken easy out . I occassionally have that problem at work.
    Bobby

7. strangedaze

strangedaze Member

I normally go into rage induced cursing episodes then burn through carbide bits and drill it out, if a "easy out" breaks.

8. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Ok here's the trick for broken easyouts, taps and worn out set screws.....Take a cutting torch and heat up the tap, easyout or set screw only since these items are harden materials they will heat up faster than the surrounding material when they get red hot a quick blast of oxygen and the centers will blow out. In most cases I have done this and there was no damage to the threads. After you have blown out the centers you can use a pic and get the rest out. Chase the hole with a tap if needed and you're done. This is the quickest and easiest way I have found to do this and will work on blind holes too....Big Tim :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I thought I had taken pictures of the manifold stud broken off in the 53. I found a nut with a hole smaller than the remainder of the bolt in the hole. Held it over the stud and mig welded the center to it. I filled the whole center of the nut, getting it REALLY hot. Quenched it right quick for the thermal shock, then carefully backed it out.

10. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

For those (of us) who might not have a cutting torch setup - I found that the local muffler shop was quite adept at handling the problem as part of the job of fabricating the exhaust pipe and installing the muffler on my truck...

11. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks

With all of this help and no cuts or burned finger tip??
    I will try the heat
    Thanks
    Robert

12. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

drilled it out

Well I drilled the broken studs out will just use a nut and bolt thanks for all the help and ideas.
    Robert