C20 - Lift kit for 2wd?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Zeitgeist57, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

As the title suggests, I'd like to get a slightly bigger wheel and tire combo on my '82 C20 2wd...it's got a 14-bolt in the rear and 8-lug wheels.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

I lifted my C10 with a Fabtech 3" kit about 4 years ago and have since replaced my suspension front and rear with factory C20 parts, keeping the lift. Unfortunately, it looks like Fabtech has stopped producing them; which sucks because I could really use the HD front springs with the 6.2 I put in last year.

The only other suspension kit for '73-'87 2wds that I know of is Rough Country's 2" kit, and it doesn't look like they offer HD front springs for 6.2s and big blocks like Fabtech did. You can also go with a body lift, but they don't look as nice in my opinion.

Here's my truck after I put the 6.2 in, with 265/75R16 tires.
    [​IMG]

3. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

Great pic! Can you tell me if that shows the lift, or with the C20 suspension kit?

Also...I have the same white steel 16" 8-lug wheels...would 285/75r16 tires fit?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  4. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

That is with both the lift kit and C20 suspension (the Fabtech kit is the same for both 1/2 and 3/4 tons). One thing I forgot to mention before is that no one (unless rough country includes them in their kit) offers longer brake lines for 2wds. The shop I had do my brakes/alignment just put some 12" extensions in that I still want to find some replacements for.

I don't know about the 285s fitting on these rims. I bought my rims from a junkyard with worn out 265s on them, kept one as my spare, and found someone selling 4 takeoff 265s for less than 2 tires would have cost me. (same tires and 2 still had the factory markings) I had been looking into a new set of rims and 33" tires before that, needless to say I saved a lot of money this way.

5. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

Thanks for the info. Just from your pic alone I am going to just get a slightly more agressive looking tire than the 245-85r16's on there now (old as hell, cracked sidewalls) and it will probably be some 265-75's. It's a great truck as it stands now and I'm not going to screw with lifting it...got plenty of other plans to waste my good money! :)

Thanks again for the info. I've attached a shot of my '82 for reference...I've got the same wheels as you! With the newer center cap and more aggressive tires you're truck looks REALLY good and I want to copy your style.
    [​IMG]

6. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Thanks, I was kinda tired of the stock hub caps i had before the 3/4 ton swap and I've always liked this style. I got the hub caps for $25 shipped and the custom lug nuts for another $50 on ebay. Now I just need to save up for a good paint job before more of the paint flakes off (notice the black spot on my hood?:( )

The 265's should fit without the lift, although it might rub a little at the corners. My brother has a '78 C20 and before I swapped my suspension out he put 2 of the worn out tires I bought on the rear of his truck to help his fuel mileage a bit.

7. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

That's truly what I'm going for...the biggest tire diameter I can get without a lift to improve the final drive ratio. My '82 runs like a champ, but I swear the 6.2L sounds like a WWII bomber with how high it needs to run at 65-70mph...I must have 4.11 or 4.56 rear gears. :)