Cameo tailgate pictures please

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Feb 4, 2014.

1. steve

steve Member

I was thinking of replacement of my step side tailgate chains and replacing with the Cameo type hardware, like to see the retractors and location of them, and inside handles to open the tailgate. Thanks in advance. :)

2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Steve,
    I don't have any pictures as my Cameo bed is torn apart, But i can tell you a
    little about it!
    first there is a metal Rectangular Cover, and that screws to the outside of the bed and inside that metal cover is a mechanism that looks like a tape measure
    that has a spring loaded flat metal reel and at the end of the tape reel a cable
    attaches to it and then the Cameo Tailgate
    That Cover is approx a good 18 maybe even 24" by about 10" high and it is tucked up under the rear fender well, and again bolts to the outside and to the rear of the Box
    The Cameo re-coiler mechanism just really wont work on a stepside Unless you had some way of hiding it but your stepside fenders would be in the way of the system that make's the Cameo tailgate work! Sorry wish i had some pic's for you Buddy!
    What i plan on doing with my 59 stepside when it comes to that is there is some one that makes a concealed hinge that gets rid of the chains and then there are those spring loaded pins that go into the top rail of the tailgate pretty simple and really work in the same principle as the Cameo latchs do!
    Good Luck!
    Allen

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

These might help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. steve

steve Member

Thanks for the feedback

Guys, appreciate the feedback,

Looks like an outside cover is used on the tailgate to conceal the backside of the handle release device. Also look like the retractor cables are hidden by the exterior bed sides. And attached thru the bed pocket?

5. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Steve
    The Tailgate does have a Fiberglass Cover and the Tailgate is Stamped entirely Different
    than that of the Stepside,the cover does conceal the latchs!
    and the cables attach to the spring loaded Re-Coiler that Lakeroadster has shown you
    (Bottom Picture) and that is housed in that cover i told you about in the exterior bedside.
    So as you can see i think the Flat Concealed hinges that are offered and the pin type of latches that go into the top (and back side to hide them) Roll of the stepside tailgate might be what you are after!
    Good Luck!
    Allen

6. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Steve, also if you look at the third picture of white Cameo with red Bed that has the tailgate down, in that picture if you count the the Third set or row of Screw's counting from the back towards the front you will see the two screws that are closer to each other
    (Vertical) that is how far back that cover is mounted up inside the wheel well and covers the tape real and cable when it is in the closed position!
    Hope that makes seance!
    Allen

7. steve

steve Member

Thanks Need to look into this more

Thanks Lakeroadster and Az58cameo, for the information, I going to look into this more, Reviewing my my 2011 Silverado see the best and simple way to go about this.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Steve,

These might help with giving you s ome ideas. I have done a bunch of changes on my step side bed including use of generic cable supports, installing latches inside the bed and stripping off all the exterior stock latch hardware.

[​IMG]

An in-process photo of the cable, got it at O-Reilley's;
    [​IMG]

Speedway rubber latch. Since it's rubber it eliminates a lot of the racket you get from the stock set-up.
    [​IMG]

9. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

tailgate

Steve, I didn't want a set of chains rubbing on the paint as I was driving down the road so I opted for the stealth latches our host sells. They work as advertised. I did buy some chain and 4 "s" hooks and made myself a set of chains for the rare times I let the tailgate down. I just hook them after opening the tailgate, they are made in the correct length so the tailgate is level when all the way down. Without the chains, it will go all the way to the bumper. Also, I keep a small padlock on one side when it is closed to prevent someone from opening the tailgate and letting it hit the bumper, only people that are suicidal would do such a thing. Hope this helps.
    Gerald in Florida

10. steve

steve Member

Cables to GO

Lakeroadster,

I think the cables is a clean and easy look to address the chains.

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I did exactly the same on my '57 GMC (except for the padlock).

12. steve

steve Member

Using updated hardware

I guess to used the cables a pocket needs to be fabricated (pictures from Lakeroadster fabrication).

I also added a picture a close-up of the cable connection to the bed, GM I think also used this cable attachment on their wagons (autos) as well as the inside lever to release the latch. I think the neatest thing is the retractable cable system.

But if you look at a new Chevy latching system then went back somewhat to the 1955 latching design (2011 pickup).

So I think my original plan of matting the Cameo to my step side is trashed, but now I understand how they did it back then!

I ordered for under $50.00 a complete set of new hardware from a 2007 Silverado, latch, rods, and handle to include the cables and attachment hardware. I am thinking of trying to run everything within the cavity at the top of the tailgate. This cavity may need to be enlarged. This is one of those touch and feel type endeavors, If I mess up I can find old tailgates there are still out there, as long as they don't see me coming.

Knowing that the handle may be to big I have a smaller one from a Toyota, it's like 2 wide inches by 6 inches long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  13. steve

steve Member

Stamp Pictures The difference

The pictures show the stamp differences, missing the cover, Just as AZ58cameo explained. Got the pictures off the internet.

I just purchase a plain tailgate from our host, best price going at $192.00 this would be the only sheet metal not from the 50's on my truck.
    I going to try and not butcher this one up for my upgraded hidden latch project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Steve,

The "pockets" on my bed are because I widened the bed 2" on each side for a total width increase of 4 inches. The pockets are basically like a door jamb, to close the 2" area that were a result of the bed widening.

To make space for the cables I used a 4 inch angle grinder and ground down the inner edge of the end of the tailgate. The tailgate already has the pocket built into it. See photo below.

[​IMG]

15. steve

steve Member

Nice Lift

Lakeroadster,

The 4 inch was to get the tires to fit under stock fenders? Nice work never notice it. A good mod is one that needs to be pointed out because it looks so good and or original.

I purchased the tailgate hardware and will see how it will layout on the new plain tailgate. I thinking of putting a handle centered inside the bed on the tailgate, not on the outside.

I thinking of (may be crazy) but using a section of my original stamp (Chevy) gate as a cover if needed. Cutting a section and inserting it inside the new plain gate covering the latches and handles. That's just a paper plan.

Attached Files:

16. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks Steve. Actually the easier way would have been to buy some of the glass fenders that are 3" wider.... but being a DIY guy widening the entire bed and leaving the fenders OEM seemed like a better option.

The stepside beds are narrower than the cab on the 60-66 trucks? Designed for the 2nd series '55, the stepside width was a tad wider than the cab, about 3/4".

• 1955 - 59 cab width = 75.32"
    • 1960 - 66 cab width = 78.75
    • stepside bed width = 76"

The additional 4 inches of width brings the bed width on my truck a little over a 1/2" wider than the cab, as you can see by the photo below.

[​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing how your tailgate modifications turn out.

John

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Priceless !

John , Steve Et Al ;

This is the true
    Hot Rodding I thought was all gone away .

Truly , if you don't notice it , it was properly done .

The devil is always in the details , please do keep us posted , I think using the old stamped " CHEVROLET script as a cover is a great idea .

18. steve

steve Member

Latch and Hello Nate

I received my tailgate hardware and here is a close-up of the latches, very heavy duty, I guess tailgates get banged and slammed often. They will fit inside the profile of the tailgate, that's good. I also have the rods and center handle.

vwNate1 I was worried you were going to comment "chains damaging your paint, have you looked at your paint" LOL Glad you commented, I like reading the comments.

I just think; if I can canceled and have one center handle and still look somewhat stock, would be cool.

Also Lakeroadster; the fiberglass fenders everyone takes that route. I think keeping with the steel is cool, I guess front bed panel was extended 4 inches, not the bed sides?

Attached Files:

19. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Tomato, Tomata... Potato, Potata :D

[​IMG]

Latches do look heavy duty!

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're kidding , right ? .

I was thinking of mentioning ' those chains , they jingle jangle jingle ' as I rattle down deserted Desert roads , I'de never , EVER delete the tailgate chains & hooks but I'm always interested in seeing how folks make up grades to latches and cables .

-Nate