carb???????

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by mitch84, Nov 17, 2008.

1. mitch84

mitch84 Member

hey fellas im really a noob with this stuff at the moment but the only way you can learn is by asking right????? alright my question is if i should keep my stock carb or aftermarket if my truck at the moment has a edelbrock intake and i plan on getting a cam and headers and dont really know about what im going to do with the exhaust beyond that.... aftermarket or quadrajet

thnx fellas:rolleyes:

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

I sure there will be a few other to say what they like but for me quadrajet
    would be ok just rebuild it after the work, or Holley there the only two carb I like. I like to race with a holley, for my truck quadrajet is just fine for getting on it and day to day driving. I have 305 9.1 flat top to fit a 60 over block 85 GM ss Alum. intake double roller timming chain 1.5 roller tip rockers 85 ss grind cam. And the truck is 3.08 gears weight is 5800lbs and is very peppy.

3. mitch84

mitch84 Member

which holley carb????

thnx for the help pontiac:) but i have one more question which holley carb should i look into.:confused:

4. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Edelbrock and Carter AFB's are the best no power valves to blow.Quadrajunks flood and catch on fire.I almost burned to death in a 74 chavy when the quadrajunk caught fire.Just my two cents.:D I always had good luck with the Carter AFB's and there easy to rebuild.

Cliff

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

1850, style or 3310 style . Holley 4BBL squaire plate
    http://holley.com take a look at a few to start look for a 600 Vac Secondarys or 650 Vac Secondarys. There easy to learn :)

6. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

1st. what size motor, if 350 then look into the carb that came on the '67-69 DZ 302 camaro. pricey, but works its ass off. that is the ONLY holley ill stand behind. As long as your not autocrossing your truck, a bone stock carter afb 625 works really good. the only prob i ever had with the carter was the fuel slosh under hard cornering. and again, .. just my 2 cents. merry christmas.
    g.t.

7. gitrunindady

gitrunindady Member

sorry, i hit enter too soon., if your runnin a 305, id still stick with a little carter. your never gonna get the power out of a 305, no matter what carb, that you can get out of a 350. been there done that. on a 260hp crate 350 with a decent cart/intake/headers/msd6al ignition, its an easy 350hp.:D
    g.t.