Carburator Kit #2-5158

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by morabuffalo, Jun 27, 2012.

1. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

The rebuild kit for the basic Rochester B (or BV or BC) at NAPA is #2-5158.

Now, the story...well, I had an extra carb that I wanted to rebuild because I was having trouble on a trip this past weekend...400 mile. I called the local NAPA (so that I could do it right away) and I got the "it's not in the computer or in our books so it does not exist routine. But, we do have one for a different type you might be able to use, but there is no such Rochester B type carb." Someone gave me a carb shop(Skinner's) phone number and I called. The guy (really helpful and friendly) said here I'll give you the NAPA part #. So, I went down and bought two kits.

Did the extra one...had so much fun(taking my time), that I decided against my number one rule NEVER TAKE IT APART IF IT IS WORKING and took the one off the truck and did it too...Took it around the block and seems fine! Will not know final till I take it on one of my 400 mile trips.

Another day, another wonderful adventure. Don't you just love it!

Rod

2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

There were 3 different types of rebuild kits for the early Rochester carbs.
    Don't even get me started on all the differences on the later carbs.
    The kits cannot be mixed & matched.
    Using the wrong kit on the wrong carb. is a recipe for a carb. that will never operate properly.

Attached Files:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rochester Series 'B' Carbys

Rod ;

yes , carby works can be very satisfying , you must always remember that the carby is the LAST thing you touch , then thy'll work fine .

" 95 % of all carburator problems are in fact electrical " .

As Joe mentions , using the correct gaskets is also very important as well as setting the float height with the air horn gasket in place .