Carburetor ?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by graham, Jul 5, 2013.

1. graham

graham Member

When I had a single carburetor on my truck it would idle fine ever time I would stop. But now I have dual carburetors and when I stop I have to tap the gas to get it to idle down. It act like something is sticking sometimes but I can't see anything that would cause it to stick.

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Check to see if it the linkage is rubbing against the manifolds any. Let the throttle jump back instead of easing off you are use to. I have the same issue with what I have had for some time. The throttle linkage usually rubbing the manifolds. I have been wanting to change to a cable system but have not bought the stuff to do it. How does it run with the duals on it?

Charles

3. graham

graham Member

Nothing is rubbing I can touch the gas and it will idle up and stay there but when I tap it it will drop. I like the dual carburetors it feels like it has more power and I like the way it looks.

Attached Files:

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Graham,

Good to hear you have more power, the photo looks great with the matching Air Cleaners.
    If you play with the linkage at the engine does it come all the way back, or is it just from inside the cab? (new flooring, carpet, new mats) Could also be the spring is not tight anymore.
    I tied a flat ribbon rope to the throttle and a handle because it has happened so often over the last years. I just tell people if they ask it is the pull starter rope.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Idle rod adjustment

The dual setup get easely a bit stiffer if you have the rods in between adjusted to stiff or not in angle. The main rod towards the gaspedal nearest to the torpedo has to be bend a bit to go free for the manifold.

I liked the creative solution you have with the wrope and handle Charles .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Martinius,

When the springs came off I have to have a way to drive when I am away from home. It works also for the sticking spring that just does not want to return all the way.

Charles

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sticky Throttle

I just have to laugh when I looked at Charles solution , I've driven old junkers many miles home using this method...

Anyway , the most common problem with this situation , is wear or improper alignment at the bell crank ~ do not try stiffer springs as this will make it worse and you have a really bad potential danger situation there .

When all is *Just-So* ,the horizontal throttle rod , never touches the hold in the toe board as it passes through .

8. coilover

coilover Member

I kinda like to KNOW what's causing a problem instead of guessing. I'd disconnect all the linkages, the foot feed to bellcrank, the bellcrank to cross shaft, and cross shaft to throttle shaft arms. Now start it up with both carb throttle arms tight against the idle adjustment screws; if it idles okay the carbs are fine and if not one of the carbs has a problem. Next connect throttle shaft arms to cross shaft, start, and check. Connect cross shaft to bell crank and check. Finally connect bell crank to foot feed, start and check. Whatever step along the way causes a fast idle is the problem. If you don't have a Uni-Sync get one. A vacuum gauge will get you close but a Uni-Sync will serve two functions: synchronize the carbs and block one at a time to check how the other one idles.

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Uni synchronize carbs

Evan

If you have a Picture of the tool or a web directory this would help a lot. Cause i have no idea how it looks like. Is it posseble to synchronize the carter/weber carb with el. choke aswell with this diagnostic tool ?

Thanks Martinius.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Bill.

12. graham

graham Member

I'm going to look at it some more today but the set up on the the truck is simple. It has a rod that goes from the gas peddle to the bracket on the side of the motor then from there to the throttle linkage.

Attached Files:

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Return Spring

FWIW ;

The return spring that hooks on to the rod in your picture , is supposed to be vertical ~ originally there was a teardrop shaped thing that went on an oil pan screw and it stuck out for the spring to hook onto ~ most folks lost/tossed this and simply hooked the bottom of the spring to the lip of the oil pan .

The carby balancing tool Even mentioned is called a " Uni Syn " and the newer , made in China ones rarely work properly .

-Nate

14. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Only one of these I ever used personally was on a Honda 305 motorcycle back in the '60s. It was not this same model.

16. ccharr

ccharr Member