Carpet replacement

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by sinerasis, Dec 28, 2006.

1. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I just got my new carpet in the mail so I started ripping up the old stuff. Someone made a mess under my seat!

Anyways, I have some adhesive that I picked up from the local parts store and was wondering if that is as good as anything or if I should look for something specific. It says that its for auto upolstry and headliners.

Also (the more pressing issue), any tips for cleaning up the old adhesive? I would imagine that getting it as squeaky clean as possible would be the best, so is there a chemical or something that will eat through that stuff or what?

Here are a few pictures (the quality isnt the best, but I figure it's something to look at). I'm also going to clean up those speaker wires while I'm in there so no making fun!

Attached Files:

2. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

On another note, does anyone happen to know what size of torx driver you need to take the seatbelt mounts out with?

I took a special trip to the parts store and got a multi too that goes up to size T40 which was too small.

3. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I got a new set of torx drivers, it's a 50 for anyone that wants to know. After wrestling with how tight the bolt is the brand new driver is broken. I'm pretty sure there was a warranty on these tools to last a little longer than an hour.

I've already sprayed them with some wd-40 type stuff. Anyone have some good ideas how to get these things loose?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

lol the T50 buy two at a time spray the top well, then go under the truck and look for the end that stick out that getts rusty spray it let it soak and spray it again. Heat can help too if you have a second person to help.clean coat them with antisize in case you ever want them out againg. They can be sturbon.

5. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

Why do you want to remove the underlay? That is a sound deadening material.. your truck will be much louder inside without it...so leave it there and put the new carpet over it.. unless you want to replace the underlay as well. just scrape it off and perhaps get the rest with a solvent, or diesel might get it off.

6. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

The new carpet came with a new sound pad. It was actually already attached to the carpet, so no need to worry about that part. The old one was all packed out and not looking too good so I'm glad it did.

I also picked up a can of some kind of solvent that says its for adhesives, wax, tar, and just about everything else under the sun (or carpet). Hopefully that will do the trick.

I still need to go pickup another new T50 before I can go any further (or maybe two). I'm gonna try my hardest to get it nice and spotless under there.

I'll post a picture or two later on to show how its going.

7. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Well luck is not on my side today either. I got a new T50 bit from the broken one through warranty, and broke it. Then I bought a "better brand" T50 bit and it's quickly stripping the stars on the bolts.

This is very frustrating.

I have soaked them in more wd-40 stuff than it should need. I don't have any means to heat the bots, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea anyways because the risk of catching the old carpet on fire.

Any ideas would be welcome as getting two bolts out is the only thing holding me back at this point.

Why would GM use a stupid torx head anyways? Just to discourage people from messing with the seat belts? I'm sure they're covering their buts some howw legally, but this is getting just stupid. From the looks of it they are larger sized bolts, there just isn't enough surface area on those little stars to compensate the torque required.

8. LVMY87TRK

LVMY87TRK Member

NOT BEING A SMART ASS BUT WD40 IS a LUBE (YOU NEED A PENETRATING OIL TO BREAK SEIZED BOLTS LOOSE)WD IS ALSO VERY FLAMABLE BECAREFUL IF YOU DESIDE TO USE FLAME TO HEAT BOLTS!TRY CHEAP STUFF FIRST TO REMOVE THAT MESS BUT IF IT DOESNT WORK 3M MAKE A SPRAY GASKET/SEALANT REMOVER THAT WORKS GREAT CAN PICK UP AT LOCAL AUTO PAINT SUPPLY STORE ABOUT $10 A CAN HERE BUT WELL WORTH IT.

9. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Well I'm not using actual wd-40. It's some sort of part cleaner stuff. Also very flammable. I think it's a degreaser or some kind. I just assumed it as something similar to wd-40.

I found an impact driver around here and banged around with that for a while, but either its not strong enough to get it out or its not working correctly (its pretty old).

I gave up today once it started raining, then the rain stopped and it was dark. Tomorrow I think I'm gonna break out a saw and try to cut the sides off of the head of the bolt and get a regular open end wrench around it.

I should say that with the torx bit I did get them moving, but either the bit or the bolt gave out before either got all the way out...

It's so frustrating how something designed so simply can be such a hassle based on old nuts and bolts!

10. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Did you strip it bad if not take a hamer pond on the top to flaten the top in a bit then you should be able use the T50 bit again. But use lost lube ( try PB or one like that.) Take you time go slow keep a lot of pressure down.
    put some lube on the night before you going to work on it, then more before
    you work on it.

11. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I got the drivers side out. I tried to pound on the top like you suggested Pontiac, but I guess it was already too far gone. I ended up taking a hacksaw and cutting off the sides, and by accident ended up with a nice 1/2" bolt. From there it wasn't bad other than the force needed to turn the thing, I'm really suprised the head didn't twist off.

I sprayed up the passenger side one really good and I'm taking a beer break (small personal victory right now). This one isn't striped so bad, but I have a feeling it's going to be the same struggle.

Am I going to be able to replace these bolts with ones found at any store? Will a grade 8 bolt do it? I don't want to put in something weaker than what it came with. Does anyone know what grade I should use for these seat belt mounting bolts?

Keep the ideas coming! :)

12. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Grade 5 or better GM dealer should have some or a good auto store(example Napa), salvage lard if your lucky you will find some there that are in good shape that you can get out "(some time they will not charge for them)".

13. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I checked the local hardware stores and auto parts stores with no luck. I am going to give the local dealership a call tomorrow. Are these not a regular size bolt?

14. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Yes you could use a bolt of the grade 5 or better try to use a bolt that not threaded all the way & washers.

15. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I went to another auto parts store today with some better help and got new bolts, and with regular hex heads. They seem to fit much better than the one that came out. I'll put a couple washers on there just in case. I'm still working to get the passenger side out, but here's a couple pics of the floor. It's not all the way cleaned up yet, but it's coming along and looks like it's in pretty good shape (the paint almost has a finish to it).

Attached Files:

16. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Here a nother Little trick if you got room to use a grinder with out hitting the belt. Grind down the top of the head of the bolt just a little so takes the bad spot off spray it down with lube, while it is still hot from grinding tap the head a few time to flaten a little then tap in your T50 this will make tight use a big bar with a adapter down to 3\8 . Slowly trun while putting lots down ward pressure. This might get it out "you have do the steps quick before all the heat goes away" do the turning slow and steady. you might be able to this twice depending on how much you have to grind off. Use lots of lube and do not for get to lube the under the cab on the bolt sticking out.

17. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

Minutes after my last post the anchor that these bolts go into came off. Too much banging around I guess. Mixed blessing I suppose. At that point I just ground off the entire head of the bolt and let it fall through. So it's all out and I can concentrate on cleaning the rest of the old glue out.

I think I'm just gonna put a nut and a steel plate where the anchor was.

Then is started raining, so I had to call it quits for the day and work on something else indoors.

18. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I got the tub all cleaned out and thew the new carpet in for a test fit. Nothing is glued down yet and no holes or trimming have been done. I just couldn't wait.

Attached Files:

19. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

I got it all in and glued down, trimmed up and everything. Lookin' good!

Here's a pic, but I'll get some more once it's daylight out again.

Attached Files:

20. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Well it starting to look good. It feel good after you get a nice job done, glad it came out for you. Looks good keep [​IMG] coming