caster

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by skidly, Oct 19, 2012.

1. skidly

skidly Member

I have a 57 3100, stock front end, added P/S. 3" lowered leafs. What would be a good caster angle to start with?

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Wouldn't the caster and camber angles and toe in still be the same as stock?
    I am not well versed in this area, maybe a call to an alignment shop is in order. Good luck

3. skidly

skidly Member

Settings would be the same, but by adding P/S, you should add more positive caster. Alignment shop told me to add 2deg's, but other recommendations I got were 6deg's, so i'm not really sure at this point. Trying to get more opinions. Thanks.

4. coilover

coilover Member

Adding caster makes one track straighter and increases steering effort. Try 2 and if it runs straight without your hands on the wheel---leave it be. If not add a few more but if you start having to add a lot then any wandering is do to something else.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As Usual

Even is dead nuts on with his Tech Advice .

Too little caster also promotes shimmy but do not expect to compensate for work out suspension parts & spring eye bushings by adding another caster shim....

I like one or two degrees of caster as it also promotes the steering returning to center by itself as you accelerate out of turns....

Sometime my passengers get worried about the blur of the steering wheel as it unwinds but no worries .

If the front end is tight and matching front tires , I find only a teense of toe in is necessary .

Like 1/8" maximum .