Change auto to a 4 speed

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Stupid trucker, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Stupid trucker

Stupid trucker Member

Ok guys I gota 77 4x4 1/2 ton with a 350th and would like to put a 4 speed in it. Is there a specific one that will hook up to my old style tranfer case i dont know what model trans case i got, it is the eo case. It was all time 4 wheel drive back in its day, and now its part time. Maybe u can help me with what i got. Thanks

2. ChevyAndy

ChevyAndy Member

Ill give it a shot. If you had full time 4wd then you have the NP203 xsfer case. The tranny you want to replace your Turbo350 is the SM465. It was available from some time in the 60's all the way to the late 80's in Fords, Chevys and Dodges. It is not a hard tranny to find but you will want to get it rebuilt regardless of its condition (for peace of mind mostly). While you are in there you should consider replaceing your t-case to an NP205 or NP208. The 208 is not quite as strong but offers a lower 4WD LOW. Again there are plenty and tracking them down should not be a big problem. You will also need:

Bellhouse
    Clutch/Pressure plate
    Flywheel (for 2 piece rear main seal - I have one if you want it)
    Pedal assy/linkage

It is not that difficult of a job if you have the right equipment. Hope this gets you started. Post if you have any more questions.
    -Andy

3. Stupid trucker

Stupid trucker Member

Thanks for the info, that really helped. all of that sounds like alot of work that i dont want to do. Im really looking for an xtra gear for highway, and would like to stick to an auto. I can get a 700r and tran case from an 86 blazer its all ready pulled with the cross member. I have been told that i wouldn't be happy with it and it would give me alot of trouble. Thats why i thought of the 4speed. I would be doing some hauling, towing a small boat and plowing. but i also take it on the highway alot and geing 10 mpg just isin't cutting it.thanks for your time, im going to ask another question about fuel milage, feel free to to help.