Changing a fuel pump

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by garrison, Jan 31, 2010.

1. garrison

garrison Member

I have my dream truck: 57 Chevy! It is pretty stock with the original 235 engine running it. I have to change a fuel pump and was thinking it would be an easy manuever...until I talked with a buddy who mentioned something about a rod of some sort, and making certain the rod was held up by a screwdriver while I was swapping the new for the old pump? Then he said that not all cars had this and maybe it wasn't there? Now, I'm a little nervous about doing this as I am by no means a mechanic. Does anyone know if my truck will have this rod and if so, what in the world is he talking about holding it up with a screwdriver?:confused:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Pretty sure your buddy is thinking of a Chevy V8, not your 235.

3. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I agree. the 235 fuel pump arm rides directly on the cam shaft if my memory serves me correctly. should take no more than an hour and a beer to change.

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

The most you will have to do is roll the engine over a little to make sure you are on the low side of the cam. You can also use a big block Chevy pump if you want more fuel pressure, all you have to do is install it up side down.

5. Don57

Don57 Member

Got any pictures of that '57?