Changing Transmission and rearend on my truck......

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by tcount35, Dec 10, 2000.

1. tcount35

tcount35 Member

I have a 48 GMC truck and I'm trying to figure out what is the easist and cheapest why to be able to drive this truck at 65-70 miles an hour. Can I bolt a newer transmission and rearend up to my 228 motor? What options do I have?

2. ftyler

ftyler Member

I'm not too certain about the 1948s, but I plan on doing the same thing with my 65 Stepside. I was fortunate to be able to find a 6-lug, 3.08 rear end (entire axle) for only 125 bucks. And it's a 12 bolt, coil spring!

I'll just swap out the whole axle and I'll be ready to go.

Maybe you can do the same thing for your '48. While you're at it, you might as well install new wheel bearings and wheel cylinders. Make sure your braking system is upgraded as well, as your truck will now be cruising at speeds well above what it was initially intended for.

3. basketcase

basketcase Member

Here is the easiest way to get some time in the fast lane. Patrick's Antique Cars and Trucks has a 3:55 ring and pinion for your truck that will lower rpms without swapping drivelines.They have a free catalogue of cool parts for 6s and old Chevy/GMC trucks. E-mail: patstrks@aol.com or phone (520) 836-1104. They are in Casa Grande AZ.