Check engine ligt

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by dmcinfo, May 5, 2003.

1. dmcinfo

dmcinfo Member

Why does the "check engine" light come on and stay on. I have an 85 pickup with a 305 V8. Truck still seems to run fine. The odomoter currenly reads 23,810

Thank for any info

DC

2. Frankc

Frankc Member

You have an 18 year old with 24,000 miles on it. Let's talk price. The check engine light staing on can be one of many things. To name just some of the things to check temperature, oil pressure, vacuum, etc.

3. 87_Chevy_4x4

87_Chevy_4x4 Member

There is a small blackbox under the dash to the left of the steering column. It is a connector box that garages use to diagnose what is tripping the check engine light. Get a piece of wire, stick one end into the hole the farthest to the right, and the other end should g in the hole next to it. Now turn the key to the ON position. The check engine light will flash certain numbers of times for different problems. Get yourself a Haynes Manual and look up the codes, they are a big help.

4. truckman68048

truckman68048 Member

Is this vehicle fuel injected?

5. Towman 1

Towman 1 Member

Chevy did not fuel inject untill '87, from I believe it was '84 to '86 they did have a computer on the engine, but no connection for a scan tool as stated in one of the previous posts. The connection box is for efi's only. I have no idea what the computer controlled on the pre 87's.

"Big Red" '89 S-10 7" Lift w/ 31's
    "The Beast" '86 K-30 454, TH400

6. dmcinfo

dmcinfo Member

I beleive its a computer controlled carb.