Clean engine compartment

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by babyblue81, Jan 20, 2005.

1. babyblue81

babyblue81 Member

I've never really taken the time to thoroughly clean the engine compartment, but I'm sure many of you have. Anyone have any tips on cleaning it up???

Here's one article I found on it, I don't know how reliable or good it is, but it looks okay to me. Any more info will help, thanks!!!

http://www.womanmotorist.com/index.php/news/main/2341/event=view

2. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Babyblue, the article is not too bad. Cleaning at a car wash with a special stall for engines is a good idea. I prefer this way. There are many local restrictions on cleaners going down the storm drains, so use caution if you do it at home, as you may end up with a fine and a hazmat cleanup bill. There are numerous spray on cleaners/degreasers on the market. Castrol makes a decent one. Use care when using them, as most of them can damage paint. If you do use them, spray only the areas that need the most cleaning. Some brushing may help. When using a pressure type washer, hot water works much better than cold. Use some eye protection, as it will send dirt, etc flying, when you blast it. Use care to not get water into vital parts. Do not spray directly at distributor, or at connector. The high pressure can force water into places it does not belong. I have also seen the moisture condense under the distributor cap, causing an engine misfire. This is not uncommon. You may have to remove the distributor cap, and wipe it down with a rag, and WD40. Be sure to rinse all soap, or cleaner well with water, so they do not leave a residue. Really bad, crusted, greasy engines may require a professional cleaning. After cleaning, and drying, you can shine it up, or wax as preferred. Just remember, some cleaners do affect paint, possibly permanently, so use caution. Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps...Mike

3. 86badboy

86badboy Member

try oven degresser and then scrub it and then just power wash it off. do it again if u have to.

4. eugene68

eugene68 Member

Caution when using oven cleaner .. if you hit something that is hot such as a hot exhaust manifold you might cause a flash fire...
    most of these cleaners have a low flash point..
    Saw my dad catch his eyebrows on fire with a can of w-40.. looking back it was kinda funny when he jumped back turned to look at me and his eyebrows were still smoking.. wasn't funny then..well, maybe a little..
    you don't have to be scared, just real respectful of it..
    nothing to worry about if it is on a cold engine..
    just my two cents..
    eugene68

5. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

Simple Green is also a good cleaning product, relatively inexpensive, readily available and environmentally friendly. It works well on greasy, oily and otherwise grime covered parts, as well as painted surfaces and rubber hoses & seals. Good luck with your engine compartment cleanup.

LILRD66 ('66, C-10)
    BCKNBLK ('66, K-10)

6. myascape

myascape Member

I'm becoming a big fan of orange-based cleaners. They don't smell horribly and are a little more eco-sensitive. They also don't catch fire. Been there, done that, got the burns. Also, cover up those electronics! Don't get in a hurry to start the engine after washing either. My .02.

7. 74sbc

74sbc Member

i have found dry dishwasher soap to be the best, first you wet your engine real good, then sprinkle the dry soup on the engine, the water will make it stick. Wait 10 or 15 min. then take a brush and give it a quick scrub. Then rinse it off.

this will also work well with laundry detergent.