Column Shifter

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by KYYATES, Feb 18, 2008.

1. KYYATES

KYYATES Member

I Have A 69 C/10 And The Column Shifter Is Hard To Move Up And Down. Like When You Want To Go T0 Reverse And Low Gear. Can I Free It Up Without Takeing Out The Steering Column?

2. drabo

drabo Member

Well it might be in the linkage. Crawl under the truck and make sure it is not jamming up or got a bunch of crap caked on it. Also un hook the linkage from the tranny and shift the transmission by hand. It souldn't be overly difficult to do. While the linkage is un hooked operate the column shifter to see if it is not the problem.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Just a note of safty just in case you do it and you or some one not thinking;) some times it happens.

I would makes sure the truck is on flat surface and blocked because it might start to roll on you, or away down encline.( maybe the e-brake does not work or hold) Who know maybe you know this and do it ever time you work under stuff. But maybe the guy that does not work on stuff like this does things fast getts burned some time. I have wrote stuff like that too forget that not all have done work like this, it was point out not in as nice a way as i did But thinking how mean read stuff like this. I guess there should be point or note made now and then. Some of us forget now and then how mean different levels of worker out there because we asume they know and do it .Some time they do not.
    I hope I did not step on any one toes and I say Sorry now just encase.:eek:

4. KYYATES

KYYATES Member

Shifting Lever Hard To Move

I Got My Shifter Moving Freely, And I Did Not Have To Remove The Steering Column. The Problem Was At The Top Of The Steering Column . Under The Signle Light Mecanism. I Removed The Steering Wheel And The Signle Light Mecanism. I Put Penatraiting Oil On The Shifter Slide. I PUT SOME WHITE GREASE ON THE SLIDE