Conversion 6 lug to 5 lug on rear

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by J__P__, Aug 1, 2005.

1. J__P__

J__P__ Member

Is it possible to convert the original rear end of my 54 3100 from a 6 lug to a 5 lug bolt pattern?

I had heard that there may be a possibility that the original axle shafts could be swapped with 5 lug axle shafts from another vehicle. If so, what axle shafts will fit? What other items need to be considered with this sort of swap?

As another possible option, I am considering having a machinist fill and drill the original axles and drums to go from 6 to 5 lugs. Anyone have experience with this option (good or bad)?

As always, your advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JP

2. 48ER

48ER Member

RE: Conversion 6 lug to 5 lug on re

48ER
    JP,
    I read about the fill and drill method; but if you just want the advantage of disc brakes and don't care whether it's five lug or six; I ran across a six lug disc conversion for 47-54 chevy trucks at www.classicperform.com. They even have the directions on how to do it using the orignal axle. As far as switching out axles, I have no idea.
    48ER

3. coilover

coilover Member

You might need to check out Moser Engineering in Portland, Indiana. They redrill axles and drums for like 20 bucks a side. We have a mill and index table and still send a lot to them, it's cheaper than the set-up time.

4. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

As for the swapping the axles- no can do...GM did not change over to 5 lugs on the trucks untill 1971, first year for disc brakes on the front too; if it was a later year rearend like a 63-70 you could easily swap out the axles, but.... you have a earlier set up and the splines, and how wide the rear end is, is also a issue, your best bet would be to have your axles filled and drilled.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Conversion 6 lug Disc Brakes

A buddy of mine made up 6 lug dic brakes by using Datsun pickup rotors and calipers , he only needed to make up simple calpier brackets and spacers for the wheel bearings to properly center the rotors .

Used the original master cylinder too and it stops on a dme , I've driven the truck .

-Nate