convert manual brakes to power

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 79stepside, Apr 20, 2002.

1. 79stepside

79stepside Member

I have a 1979 Chevy C-10 2 wheel drive pickup with manual brakes. I want to convert the brakes to power brakes. Can the power brake booster, valve kit and master cylinder be removed from another truck with power brakes and be installed on my truck? I probably should replace the valve kit and master cylinder. I took a power brake booster off a 1978 Chevy Blazer and I have another from a 1985 Chevy truck. Would either of these work? What more do I need?

2. GreatNorthWoods

GreatNorthWoods Member

I can't tell you for sure if the power booster will fit or not, but they don't change those things that often, so it should (the 78 would be more likely to work than the 85 since it is only one year off your application). Sometimes different master cylinders are used with power brake boosters than with manual brakes, so I would use the 78 master cylinder also (or a new 79 power brake master cylinder). You will have to find a vacuum source (usually the base of the carburetor or the intake manifold) to connect to the booster, but beyond that there's nothing else I can think of.

3. Craig

Craig Guest

They should interchange easily.The 85 will also fit if you want to use it.

4. 79stepside

79stepside Member

Thanks for the help! I'm going to use the booster from the 78 and I'm going to replace the master cylinder and the brake lines.:)

5. GreatNorthWoods

GreatNorthWoods Member

Great, let us know how it turns out...