Coolant/antifreeze amount

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

happy holidays to all
    I have to fill my radiator in my 52 Chevy truck had to put in a new water pump and flush the radiator,
    I had the 50/50 mix the last time it looked really watery. I think might have caused the water pump to fail from all the rust chips that built up in the radiator hoses.
    So how many gallons of coolant should I purchase to do the job ?and should I use distilled water for the coolant mixture .
    Thanks

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

For sure a water pump killer A2915C22-3863-4ABE-9AA5-27F65D1B4CFA.png

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Do a search for Nate's citric acid flush routine. Get it all cleaned out before refill with 50/50 anti-freeze/distilled water.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The rust chips were not caused by a 50/50 mix unless you're using really hard tap water .

I use only distilled water and 40 % coolant, no ever heating and no corrosion .

Of curse, you do have to clean out all the old corrosion, the water jacket has plenty of nooks & crannies where rust and silt accumulate .

It takes time and a fair goo bit of driving to get the system fully clean first .

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

I flushed out the radiator and engine the best I can haven’t put the new coolant in yet but I do believe the rust chips that was in the lower radiator hose was from hard tap water and a couple of years sitting not running.
    Time flies when vehicles sit to long.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't know about Chevys, but GMC 6s have draincocks low and to the rear of the block. While flushing, it is best to remove them and periodically stick something small and pointy in the hole to help rust get out.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Chevies have a drain plug in the block too ~ often when it's removed nothing comes out due to accumulated rust and silt build up .