Custom wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by Reinovator, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Hay I know this thread is going to get some eyes rolling but I'm working with limited funds and doing my best with what I've got.
    To the point I have a 87 suburban body which I'm Making into a 77 GMC panel
    I'm wondering Which way to go with the forward wiring the 87 was fuel injected and when I bought the vehicle for my 88 Suburban I was unable to get the engine wiring harness the guy I bought it from still wanted it and the blown engine I was able to keep the computer and some of the wires to it.
    I also have a 94 caprice complete which I'm parting out, blown engine
    I'm planing on building a 350 4 blot main for it with a 4 speed auto behind it.
    Should I stay with the Carburetor system or use one of the fuel injected systems I'm more familiar with carbs and pretty good with them,
    but I'm intrigued with fuel injection systems and very impressed with fuel injection performance.
    would the caprice computer system be the better system or should, If i go FI, use the 4X4 Suburban computer.
    If I didn't say so the 77 panel will be 2x4 a wheel disc brakes I could even go abs but I think that might be a little over kill.

any feed back with real advice is welcome I'm just not that familiar with Electronic Fuel Injection.:D:D:D

2. drabo

drabo Member

87 throttle body type fuel injection was not that good to begin with. I would go with a carb or a newer type small block. 96-99 truck motors are a good choice. They have vortec heads and are either full roller or are designed with roller capibilities. That way you don't have to buy the extra spendy roller lifters. If you decide to go computerless then opt for the 700R4 tranny which should already be in your 87.

3. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

The tranz is out of a 84 Caprice with a running 305 which I'm going to use for mock up,
    The EFI Intake Is another question Will it bolt up to a older block.

Back to wiring what can I find on computer mods for either the 87 or 94.
    and buy the way the 87 was 4x4 the 77 will be 2x4,

Where should I look for performance mods, sensors, etc and or tricks,
    I want as much info as possible be for deciding.

4. drabo

drabo Member

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/pf_chevy.shtml

I'm a carb guy so I am not a good source for EFI questions. I can tell you that the intake will fit an older block however the heads need to match the intake. You have the 87-95 heads so you are good to go on the ealier style intake but you can't use vortec heads without a vortec intake. It's the way the intake bolt holes were drilled. 87-95 heads and vortec heads use the same valve cover so when you comb the scrap yards don't assume that since it is center bolt it is vortec.

If I was to go with the EFI direction then I would probably use an aftermarket kit like the one Edlebrock sells. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/pf_chevy.shtml

5. drabo

drabo Member

6. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Yes, the caprice does have a 700R4. the 4blt main 350 is a mid 70s though but I do have a 1998 create 350 In the truck now, Which I took Out of My 1ton when Gas was $5.13 a Gallon.
    Maybe I should build the older one and put into My one ton.
    Then I could have the EFI system do you think that would work.
    It has the side bolt down Valve covers and the one piece rear main seal.
    Ive never had the pan off. but as I recall the ser# said it was 2 bolt mains.
    maybe just refresh 90k engine and camit then adapt the serpentine belt sys off the caprice then I have what I want.

Any Ideas?? :cool:

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

88 Suburban trans is only good if you building a 4x4 and you did not say if it was auto or manual. If the trans a auto OD it's a 700R4.

The;) 94 caprice trans 700R4 will work will not be bulit with the same gears and bands as the the 88 that a truck trans. It would have but a 94 would be a very good 700R4 to have, but 94 2x4 trans is only set up computer set up need the wiring to shift. If have a anther older 87 700R4 and want to go carb take the guts out of the 94 trans put in the 87 2x4 case.

1998 create 350 In the truck now this would be good to go with the 94 caprice trans 700R4 if you going EFI system with the computer set up need the wiring trans and motor to fuse box. do the 98 motor still have all the sensor & plugin stuff for the computer set up . your set to go all most
    except some small stuff twixing for your set up.

You will need 87 EFI gas tank and sending unit& gas pump for the 77.

The trucks 73-80 single gas tank only have the opening on the passanger side box.

The trucks 81-87 single gas tank only have the opening on the driver side box.

If you have duel set tanks you set.

Oh do not forget you need a lot of or all the emission stuff if your you going to go with the newest computer set up .

8. drabo

drabo Member

Your 98 motor could be a roller block. If it is I'd go with that one. If the cast numbers don't tell you if it is then the only way to know for sure is to pull the intake off. In the center of the lifter valley is three threaded holes for the spider plate. That holds the the roller lifters in place.

If you are going for a little performance then I'd even get rid of the heads you have and put a set of vortecs on there. Check out www.sdparts.com they have one hell of a package deal with heads and intake.

Slap on a trusty 650 or 700cfm Eldebrock carb and be done with it.

9. Reinovator

Reinovator Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. But My wife Wrecked her car so I get to fix her's be for I Can finish my Build.
    Here's the link for her mess if your interested
    http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/reinovator/Sho Vs Barbwire Fence/
    Hopefully I'll only be behind a couple of weeks.
    Most likely a month.
    Thank God she's OK.

Oh by the way I do have a 84 700R4w a 305 attached and 94 700R4 both are out of caprices.
    The 94 I have the hole car. blown 305 engine, parts car.:D