Cylinder #1 rockers hardly getting oil

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wolffcub, Sep 22, 2014.

1. wolffcub

wolffcub Member

My rockers above cylinder #1 are hardly getting oil. All the other rockers have the oil bleeding nicely from the oil holes in the tops But #1 just hardly dribbles out. I have removed the shaft and checked for debris and sludge. Also checked the the rocker hole and all is clean. Possible fix for this? My oil feed tube located in the center of the 2 shafts is also almost fully pinched off.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. wolffcub

wolffcub Member

even if i rev and hold the rpms up it still hardly comes out. My oil psi reading is nice and high on the gauge sitting around 35psi.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As long as it's weeping oil you're good to go .

Are you sure the bushing inside the rocker proper isn't mashed and partially blocking the weep hole ? .

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yabbutt ;

He says only one rocker isn't weeping sufficiently , this kit is only necessary when the internal oiling isn't working anymore .

6. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

#1 is the first to go when the main bearings start to wear out....
    because # 1 is the highest cylinder .

7. wolffcub

wolffcub Member

Engine was fully rebuilt. Only has 900 miles on it now. Psi is still around the 38ish mark. Would the oil pressure not reflect worn out mains? I can see if i had low pressure that it might be harder to get oil thru to the rockers but all are getting soaked but number 1.

8. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The engine is mounted in the frame at a slight angle & it is normal for #1 to receive the least amount of oil through the rockers as it is the highest cylinder.

The #1 rockers also receive a regular flooding of oil through the valve cover oil fill hole every time the the oil is changed or topped off.

I agree with Nate....As long as some oil is weeping out of the #1 rocker arm oiling holes....
    I wouldn't worry about it.

If no oil at all is weeping out of the #1 rocker oiling holes..... that is a problem.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. wolffcub

wolffcub Member

I don't think the angle of the motor would only cause #1 rockers to have way less flow than the others but out of curiosity I raised the rear of the truck onto ramps so the #1 was lower than #6. Same issue.

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

If the angle is not an issue as you have discovered, take the engine back to the re-builder and tell them to fix the slow or no oil issue you have.