Da#*+^ Headliner

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by racketyboom57, Mar 19, 2007.

1. racketyboom57

racketyboom57 Member

My truck is a 1950 and had a two piece floating headliner that I took out when I started my restoration. I bought a new one, but it just wouldn't fit right. The two cardboard pieces seemed to fit on the inside of the sheet metal wing that extends above the door. The front cardboard would only fit to the inside. The metal piece that connects the two pieces was too long, and would only go outside the metal wings. The length of the two pieces, (front to back) was about an inch too long. After much wrestling and finally screwing up the rear piece, I went to the Classic Chevy catalogue to order a new piece and discovered that there is a one piece cardboard for the late 49-53 trucks. I'm beginning to think the two piece was added to my truck in error, (cause it didn't look right when I removed it) and maybe the one piece design will solve all my cussing and problems. (still looking for some of the tools I threw in anger) Can anyone shed some light on these aggravating headliners?
    Tom Kirkland

2. Boopster

Boopster Member

Them confounded headliners

Racketyboom, I feel your pain, but they do work, mine was approx 3/4 inch too long and fit wonderfully when all was right. BUT!!! DON'T cut before you test, measure and re-measure.

Now as far as the one piece, I can't help you with that one. I used a two piece and the bow that goes in the middle. It took some doing but me and the Boop got er dun in about 2 hours.

Someone will chime in I'm sure about the one piece and there are posts in the archives about how to install the two piece.

Ask Ken for help... He might just drive out there and help you for the weekend:D :D :D

3. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Headliner Blues!!

Always dread putting headliners in. The way that I put headliners in is I open the pinch slot in the metal bow and center and install the front head liner. sqeeze the pinch slot to hold the head liner. Install the front halve in the truck, tuck it under the windshield rubber and the windlace. Then install the back part into the slot. You will have to work at it a bit but be patient it will fit up in there. Chris

4. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

headliner headache

I drove my 54 over to show a friend who had coached me through a number jambs during my project. He admired my truck, then asked, who did the headliner? I told him my wife and I had installed it.

He was somewhat dumbfounded, then told me he bought his 3rd headliner before he got it in without ruining it. This guy is an auto restoration perfectionist.

My bride and I installed the 2 pieces of cardboard headliner carefully, it only took three days of a memorial weekend in 2002! Our insulation job made the headliner a bit of a challenge.

Be patient, measure and scribe carefully, my rear piece was about 1" too long.

Thunder 54

5. alabama1950

alabama1950 Member

Racketyboom what a nice truck, what is the color code and color name
    a great color thanks
    Ken