Dash Removal 66 C10

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by General, Nov 24, 2002.

1. General

General Member

I'm restoring my grandfathers 66 c10 pickup. I've started on the cab but have ran into a snag... The dash is cracking on the top and needs to be filled, repaired and repainted. Please help me with the following questions:

1. What's the best filler to use on a job like this?

2. How do you get the darn dash out? Ive removed bolts under the steering col.. and from the side panels but, the thing still feels like it's bolted in somewhere. I even bought an assembly manual but can't make it budge. I don't want to break it so forcing it is out of the question...PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!:)
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

2. zenish

zenish Member

remove the windsceild and drill out the spot welds

3. trustyrusty65

trustyrusty65 Member

Since your dash is in such bad shape, I'd look for a sound one a wrecking yard. They aren't too hard to find for '64-'66 trucks. Since most of these parts trucks already have the windshield busted out, getting to the spot welds should be no problem. In all honesty, I've never done this myself, but it shouldn't be too hard. I'll be doing it soon, no doubt, since some(expletive)hillbilly hogged out the radio face to stick in a different tape deck.
    --TrustyRusty

4. will54

will54 Member

HI,
    I too took out my dash. First,I removed the windshield, then I drilled out all the spot welds that run from one side of the dash to the other. I think there were about 30 or so spot welds, give or take. It took a while, but after I drilled, I pried apart the dash from the rest of the body, and it came out pretty easily. It was nice, because I took the dash out, repaired it, and also had easy access to all the old wiring under the dash. It was nice to be able to put it on a workbench and re-do all the old wiring. When it came time to put it back in, I set it in place, put the bolts in that are on each side of the dash, then I ran a series of real short welds along the length of the dash. When it came time to put the window in, it went in real easy and the whole thing now looks great.
    Okay, hope it all turns out okay.

Will from Colorado.
    Keep on truckin'
    :)

5. General

General Member

Thanks... I'll give it a try.

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

You can get a spot weld drill bit that will make it that much easier. Eastwood has them..

DValentine