Dash replacing or modification

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ChevyOnly, Dec 14, 2000.

1. ChevyOnly

ChevyOnly Member

The person who I bought my 64 truck truck from was the third owner somewhere along the line some dummie cut a section out of the dash to install some guages. Might I add it was a hack job! This didn't stop me from Buying good deal I guess. I think that there was an ashtray maybe old radio if so lucky w/ options? The hole is 6 or 7 inches square. I don't need those options because truck is not going to be restored...mild custom. Can anyone give me some options. Fiberglass maybe?

2. Rick

Rick Member

I don't know if I would fiberglass the dash (could crack at a later time).I would strip interior seats,carpet etc and have a plate mig welded in and ground down

Rick
    tech2@chevyduty.com

3. ChevyOnly

ChevyOnly Member

Thanks for your reply Rick Those dashes are welded in arn't they? Can they be replaced with a used one?

4. speedfreak

speedfreak Member

Yes the dashes are spot welded in, right to the windsheild channel, and there are allot of the spot welds. There isn't any reason you can't find one in a junkyard and get the dash out of it. Just be prepared for a fair amount of work. It is spendy but this place offers a fiberglass smooth dash for the 60 to 66 trucks.

http://www.usbodysource.com