Defroster Outlets

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GLRnTX, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I just finished working on some stuff under the dash. By far, the hardest thing was installing the defroster outlets. I had to give up on the original method of a screw from inside and use speednuts and a screw from the top.

This job was made especially difficult by the poor quality of the plastic moldings. I have been generally pleased with the quality of most items from our host, but these things are pathetic. The plastic is almost paper thin and the flange tears easily when tightening the screws. I don't know if anyone else makes these, but avoid these. For $22.00 each, it is a major ripoff.

Greg

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

IIRC , the originals used speed nuts and those cute little flatheaded screws .

Never easy to install though , I had to fit and install them on my old '46 3100

3. mot1982

mot1982 Member

I replaced the ones in my truck, metal one froms from parts truck.. had them media blasted in and out.. repainted and installed.

yep kinda a pain.. i think installing metal ones must make it eaiser.. as they dont flex all over..

4. Ruger338

Ruger338 Member

Why buy the repros when the good originals are available most days on Ebay sorry but I sell them in pairs for $10 or 12 as fast as I get them for this reason.

5. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I always check eBay for parts first. I never saw the vents listed.

A little late now. I am sure as heck not going to replace them now.

Greg

6. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Guess What!

I just bought of set of metal ones from eBay for $19.00. Now I have to think hard about replacing the plastic one. The metal ones have the speednuts, so it should be easier. I will probably have to remove the glove box liner for the nth time.

Greg