Difference between '48 and '51 door

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Flipper, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Flipper

Flipper Member

Other than the vent window, is there a major diference between these doors?

.......can '51 door bottoms be used to patch '48 doors?

2. dunhamfield

dunhamfield Member

RE: Difference between '48 and '51

YES, the bottoms are the same.
    TERRY.......

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Doors , '48 and '51

Yes but , unless you've already driven your truck in the blistering summer heat , you'd be wise to put the '51 doors on your '48 as the vent wings improve cab ventilation more than you can possibly imagine .

They're good defrosters in wintertime too , just barely cracked .

-Nate

4. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: Doors , '48 and '51

but before you consider remember that the latches and strikers are different, if I'm not mistaking i believe the the striker will have to be shimmed out for it to latch properly, please let me know if this is incorrect.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Door Latch Striker Plates

The striker plate was changed when they went to the push button outer handle .

FWIW , most of these trucks suffer from poor jig work in the cab builup , resulting in the door latch not fully reaching into the striker , just one more reason why the strikers wear out so fast .

As the new reproduction strikers are (apparently) made of cheese slices and wear accordingly , I got a pair of N.O.S. GM strikers then I got some repop strikers and cut them up on the band saw to use as shims ~ they hold the N.O.S. strickers out a little bit further , allwing proper engaugement of the latch , a serious safety item .

My door now close without slamming the heck out of them .

-Nate

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas Member

1951 door handles

Isn't the 1951 AD Chevy the one and only one with drop down door handles and vent windows? Perhaps it is the 1950?

7. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: 1951 door handles

Your right, the 51 was the only year with the turn down handles and vent windows, after 51 they all went with the push button style.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: 1951 doors

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-06 AT 08:58 AM (CST)]And the really odd thing is this : most guys are more interested in how cool it looks rather than the good ventilation you'll get from vent wings and so will buy a later truck and ruin the doors by cutting out the vent wings and installing one piece windows , all to look cool .

~ I'da preferred buying a '52 or later just to have not only vent wings but less troublesome door latches too , of course, the only truck worth buying turned out to be a '49....SIGH

-Nate