Different LS approach

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Oct 26, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover Member

On previous AD's with LS engines we have use high mount compressor and alternator brackets but this one has the inner fenders modified so stock parts can be easily obtained if needed. Will look better when finished and painted---what do you think?

IMG_4396.JPG IMG_4397.JPG IMG_4398.JPG

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Interesting concept. For a driver, non-show truck, that makes sense. The more stock components, the better.

LS motors in classic pickup trucks always look like the motor is sinking into quicksand.... IMO.

Where's the tunnel ram and the dual four's ;-)

John

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evan,
    Is that a "car" front accessory drive setup (in terms of alternator placement, it looks quite different than the "truck" setup I have), or an aftermarket alternator setup? I had no interference with the driver's side inner- although I offset the engine to the passenger side for better steering geometry (no Borgeson joints required). I haven't mocked up the AC compressor yet, but my guess is it will require a similar passenger-side inner fenderwell modification to what you have shown.

Thanks for the pictures!

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I'm using the truck drive setup on mine. The only interference for me is the second return port on the power steering pump. I will just cut it off short, and probably solder a cap on it. I'm hoping I can engineer a AC mount, high on the pass. side.
    I did buy a idler relocation kit, because I want to use a different intake. I cant stand the big ugly truck intake.
    Yeah, John, V-8s in old pickups all look short and wide. Undesirable in, well, a lot of things...
    Here are a couple of remedies, I've thought of.

Steve.
    upload_2017-11-4_10-0-31.jpeg

I'm guessing this one would be hard to get to run right at 8000 feet.

upload_2017-11-4_10-1-36.png

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Nope.. It's just a matter of changing pulleys. They sound a lot better... when they are spinning faster. :)

6. coilover

coilover Member

That blown engine looks to be designed for some serious boost since they went with an iron block. Also like the idea of a bigger blower that doesn't have to be overdriven a bunch; it keeps the temp lower than a small one spinning faster. Still gives that beautiful sound.