Dingy gas gauge

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Big Dave, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Hi guys -
    Anyone out there know about gas gauges? My '65 gauge will read normal, say when sitting at a light, and then it will have a mind of its own and spring way past full and vibrate, then when it's done it will go back to normal. It likes to do this several times. I need to understand how the wiring works. Could it be a gauge going bad or sending unit? Any info would be appreciative.

2. CHEVYTRUCKNUT61

CHEVYTRUCKNUT61 Member

The first thing I would check is the ground wire for a loose connection.Then I would go check the sending unit,gauge is only reading what signal it receives Good luck

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

> The first thing I would check is the ground wire for a
    >loose connection.Then I would go check the sending
    >unit,gauge is only reading what signal it receives Good luck

Actually, the gauge will peg on full when there is short anywhere in the system. That somewhere can be anywhere along the tan wire going to the tank, or inside the sending unit itself.

Try running a jumper wire from the gauge to the top of the sending unit and see if that makes a difference, and yes, check the ground wire for good bare metal contact.

If the jumper wire solves the problem, order a replacement harness from our hosts.

DV