Dodged A Bullet Again

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by vwnate1, Mar 29, 2015.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So ;

After a really long week of intense working on my '69 C/10's engine , I came home with my Brother in his old Mercedes S Klasse and the dang passenger side window won't roll up .

So , I tell him no worries , just pull to the curb out side my gate and I'll take the door apart and fix it (I've been begging him to let me have at it since it started making rude noises TWO YEARS AGO) .

My street was lain in 1923 and has a severe crown to it as well as my driveway slopes down steeply to meet it , I had the door open and was sitting in the (freshly cleaned) gutter , legs underneath the car with a few hundred door parts , mangled & bent window lift , screws , nuts bolt & " Problem Solvers " (TM By Nate) scattered about and thinking " jeezo-peezo this door is too close to the ground , I wish I'd jacked up the car and blocked it before beginning this job " when !BANG! the goof ball directly across the street backs quickly out , all the way across and bashes into the driver's side of the Mercedes , jumping it over 4" to - wards me and scaring the living crap out of me ~ I'm glad I don't like jacking cars in the street as I would prolly have been crippled worse than I am now when it fell off the safety stands :eek: .

Whew .

Anyways , the guy was really sacred and upset , says he has insurance and so on , my Brother took photos with y iPod thing , I finished up fixing the door and the window once again works gangbusters .

The point here is : WORK SAFELY !! I'm old and ready to go but working accidents can be very painful and life changing .

I have good pix of the door , will post them up this week .

I am *so* glad it wasn't asn old VW I was working on , I'da prolly been killed .

2. coilover

coilover Member

Nate,
    Your right, stuff can happen so quickly and be so unexpected. I find I get the real jitters after the fact when I start running all the "what if" scenes through my mind. Your poor old bod can't stand many more accidents. On the subject of Mercedes needing work, I bought a wagon ($400) for one of the guys to use to get to work while his pickup is being repaired. Has dents but runs good. The PO said it just started running hot and he wasn't going to spend a dime on it. When I checked it out the tin channel that the radiator core support sits in had been pushed back (high curb?) till the bottom hose was kinked shut. Stuck another channel in and it runs cool. Do you think I can get my money back out of it when his truck is ready?

Attached Files:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Klunkers & Junkers

Oh yeah Evan ;

Folks always need a Shop Rig , better yet if the AC is working ~ clean it well and ask at least $1,500 for it , be sure to do a release form on it for your files and sell " AS-IS WHERE-IS " blah blah blah .

These are popular and good cars if old .

Here I am working on the old Mercedes door : IMG_0890[1].JPG

This before I decided to sit on the ground & put my legs underneath it .

Here's the driver's side door , you can clearly see the horizontal tubular support : IMG_0886[1].JPG

Then this morning @ 0-Dark:30 a drunk came onto the freeway and nearly ran into me ~ when I tooted my horn at him , he pulled in front of me and hit his brakes .

This in my little Nash Metropolitan Coupe .
    4.20.2014.jpg

Did I ever mention how much I dislike drunks ? .

I called the Highway Patrol but the drunk got off the Freeway before they arrived .

I'm still shaken up .

I'm about to post up some engine pix of my '69 C/10 over on the /67 ~ '72 pages if anyone cares .