Door adjustment

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Arizona64, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I've got a few questions for the experts out there:

Question 1:
    Ok, can anyone tell me how to adjust/repair my doors so that they don't rattle? I installed the weatherstrip, and that keeps them from rattling back and forth, but when I go down a bumpy road, or hit a bump, they still shake (up and down). I noticed that it got worse after I dropped it (4 inches front, 4 inch back...rake). Anyway, I have no idea how to adjust the hinges, etc. Oh, yeah, and when I close the doors, I have to pick the door up a bit.

Question 2:
    My passenger door was designed to lock from the inside by popping the handle down. This doesn't work anymore either (is it mis-aligned?). It just won't pop all the way down like it used to.

Question 3:
    My vent window was broken when someone tried to steal the truck a few years ago. They popped the handle clear off, and all that's left is a piece of metal where it went. What do I need (besides the handle) to fix this?

Question 4:
    I just installed a new filler neck and grommet for the original gas tank. I bought a gas cap from Autozone. I noticed that a hell of a lot of pressure is building up (especially on hot days). The fumes have nowhere to go but inside. Do I need to buy a certain type (oem) gas cap? All the seals are tight...but it still smells.

I guess this will keep you guys busy typing for now...I got more questions!

Regards,
    Arizona64}>

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Question 1:
    but when I go down a bumpy road, or hit a bump, they still shake (up and down). I noticed that it got worse after I dropped it (4 inches front, 4 inch back...rake).

Classic symptoms of bad hinges. Pick up a hindge rebuilding kit from our hosts

Question 2:
    My passenger door was designed to lock from the inside by popping the handle down. This doesn't work anymore either (is it mis-aligned?). It just won't pop all the way down like it used to.

You will need to remove the door panels and have a look see. It is most likely the door relay mechanism, ( a clip missing or some such thing) or the latch. You will need to take the bazillion screws off the panel and check it out. Take the other "good" side off for a comparsion of how it should look.

Question 3:
    My vent window was broken when someone tried to steal the truck a few years ago. They popped the handle clear off, and all that's left is a piece of metal where it went. What do I need (besides the handle) to fix this?

Vent window handle and retaining washer/clip. Both can be found in the Chevy Duty online catalog.

Question 4:
    I just installed a new filler neck and grommet for the original gas tank. I bought a gas cap from Autozone. I noticed that a hell of a lot of pressure is building up (especially on hot days). The fumes have nowhere to go but inside. Do I need to buy a certain type (oem) gas cap? All the seals are tight...but it still smells.

Go back to AutoZone and get a vented cap. Or add to your ChevyDuty order....

That wasn't too bad...

Dennis

3. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

Awesome advice.

I bought a hinge rebuild kit, and finished one door, haven't been able to get the other door off it's hinges. When I put the door back on, it didn't line up right. What's the best way to adjust the doors?

I just bought a new relay for the door I mentioned. I hope its that, and not the latch.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Arizona64

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

"What's the best way to adjust the doors?"

With a friend !! This is a time consuming process that is illustrated in the Factory Service Manual. By being patient and working through it you will be rewarded with doors that close with little effort.

It's a combination of adjusting the door in or out at top and bottom and adjusting the striker to work with the door at the correct location.

The procedure is lengthy to write down here. ( I'm incredibly lazy too !) But the Service manual details the procedure with pictures and illustrations to make it simple to figure out.

Dennis